Shiraz, How Is It Pronounced?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freezkat

Reaction score
I was watching a documentary on Penfolds Grange several years ago. I could swear it was pronounced

short I as in "it" Shih

short A as in Jazz, cat, fat, not the British short A as in Jaws, paw...so then Razz

Shih-razz shiraz

There is a new pseudo-elitist pronunciation where the z is silent and the a is a british ah sound

It's your damned word! How the blazes am I supposed to say it???

Think its shi-razz (Shiraz) or see-rah (Syrah)

the seerah is French ... I just read that

Like Frommage is to cheese.

You can't call Champagne grapes "Champagne" if they are grown outside of that town in France. So unless I know it if it is from there, Shiraz it is.

Here's a great clue for everybody in the USA...they are spelled different.

I had a feeling, I was right.

Certain Brits will always pronounce words the way they want to...

I like Jahzz music. My hawt is very hawt upon my head. Great Scawt I've been shawt!

You know if you aren't going to use half the vowels available, why bother spelling it differently?

My hat is hat, great scat I've been shat. Its much more efficient wouldn't you say?

Yep, the two are one and the same.

However, how it is pronounced and spelled, is really a matter of where it comes from. Syrah is the French name and is is just about everywhere overseas. Shiraz is what we call the grape here in Australia and New Zealand (we didn't coin the word). Same grape though.

So, if people are calling an Aussie Shiraz a 'Syrah', then they are pretentious wankers trying to sound like they're hip with the wine world. Some Australian wineries may be using the French name in a marketing capacity however. However, if people are ordering the style from overseas wineries, it's probably called Syrah. Not many French regions are 100% Syrah, it's mainly blended with other grapes (Cab Sav, Grenache, Viognier).

Some Wikipedia love for you.

Dave

Penfold's calls it Shiraz. I think they know what they are talking about.

What's a bottle of Grange going for there?

Around $500 for the latest. There's a collection with every vintage from 1951 to 2006 for sale at the moment. It's going for the bargain basement price of $279 000.

Around $500 for the latest. There's a collection with every vintage from 1951 to 2006 for sale at the moment. It's going for the bargain basement price of $279 000.

wow...no cheaper here

Latest posts

Back