Serving Fridge Neglect

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JSB

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have been through some really busy times of late, at work and social/family life etc, and brewing some really good solid beers, and to that I have only just got around to totally cleaning my beer lines and serving fridge out....which for a 2 tap (grundy style) has taken over 2 hours....head to toe....bleach...flushed out the lines with caustic and then with some phos.....and a lot of fresh water.......the amount of crud and crap that has accumulated in and behind that taps is amazing, to the point of running my last IPA hru the unclean taps and newly clean taps is amazing....

I also kegged my latest Dunkel Wiezen and "holy toledo" batman it is so awesome...

So, if you have a spare coupla hours to spare, do yourself a favour and clean your seerving fridge from head to toe !!! your beer and you will thank yourself for it.

oh and by the way Adam T - this is your fridge I am talking about....I'm just finishing off my chest freezer also.

Cheers
JSB

i use to do the lines at a local pub, its enough to put you off drinking commercial beer. Blowing out huge bits of mould, green slime (always in the pale line), not to mention the stale beer smell! You can taste the difference once cleaned properly.

Make sure you rinse well after your chemical usage, was an incident a few years ago some poor bloke stomached some beer chemical from a non-rinsed line. He died!

I got myself a 5lt bottle of Triclean, Beer line and glass cleaner.
About every three months or so when a couple of kegs are empty I fill one keg with solution, fill all four beer lines. Pump some then pour the rest for one keg to the other. Then tip it into a bucket, drop in hatch and put keg in top down to soak. Rinse all well and fill 1 keg and flush lines with 5lt of water each. blow out with gas and reconnect beer.
I usually drain the chest freezer of all its condensation residue/water at the same time.

Takes about an hour.

Maybe I'm just a clean freak. :unsure:

Put stickers on kegs just cleaned so I know which are due next.

keg_clean.JPG

Cheers FROGMAN

EDIT = sPeLlINg@

Yes definately guilty!!. I will need to clean them soon.

Gave my fridge a General Clean today, no free keg to do the lines...
Drip tray was bad enough!! Having the Flu and not drinking much in the last few weeks has resulted in one bad drip tray!!!
All good now though after some hot water and elbow grease!!!

yep - a keg later and its still great !! had some help from my bro cleaning up the keg/s !!!, shit its going to be a slow day tomorrow at work !!!

Cheers
JSB

Latest posts

Back