Sealing bottles after first pour.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad & his mates used to put a match over the top of the open bottle.
Reckoned it stopped the beer from going flat but I never saw a bottle last long enough to test the theory.
Use a bigger glass!

Truman said:
Thats what i was talking about. Do they actually work though? Once the beers exposed to oxygen what will that do?
Vacuvin to slow down wine oxidation

Pressure stoppers for preserving beer and champagne fizz

I would either pour all in one to to two glasses (to share) or use a jug

But I keg instead ;)

decant off the sediment into another bottle that has a screwtop lid.

Truman said:
Thats what i was talking about. Do they actually work though? Once the beers exposed to oxygen what will that do?

I've tried them, I found they did bugger all besides keep the flies out.

When you think about it,
Say 1 bottle of 2.5x vol CO2
Drink half, you now have 1/2 bottle 2.5x vol and 1/2 bottle at 1x vol
The 1/2 vol is mostly air, but will have a mix of CO2 that is being driven off from the beer.
So you only have enough vols of gas to equal (2.5+1)/2 = 1.75

So if you left it to equalise you have 1.75 vol of gas, which is still fairly lifeless beer.

For $1 each those plugs will help (also can get them from Big W) and you will hear some pressure being released when you open it. But IMHO it's more a placebo effect.
Getting the bottle back in the fridge is about the best thing you can do. I found it you finish it withing 30min from the fridge they are not too bad.

my 2c

QldKev

QldKev said:
When you think about it,
Say 1 bottle of 2.5x vol CO2
Drink half, you now have 1/2 bottle 2.5x vol and 1/2 bottle at 1x vol
The 1/2 vol is mostly air, but will have a mix of CO2 that is being driven off from the beer.
So you only have enough vols of gas to equal (2.5+1)/2 = 1.75
So if you left it to equalise you have 1.75 vol of gas, which is still fairly lifeless beer.
I like this equation...from now on I'm carbonating all my 750ml bottles to 4 vols so the 2nd half of my beer should still be around 2.5!

I remember my olds putting a teaspoon into the neck of an un-finished champagne bottle. For the life of me I never understood how it could help. Google tells me it's massively popular but completely useless.

Tex083 said:
Do you filter your beer?
I have always had sediment in the bottom of home brew, just like a coopers. Some of the yeast sticks well to the bottom of the bottle and others not so well.
I learnt from my old man, always pour home brew in 1 go, never invert the bottle and never glug it out so the yeast is not stirred up.
I bottle into 660 brown glass and decant into 580ml pints. This is a bit of a waste as its not all yeast so I generally "sample"a bit from the pint while holding the long neck horozontal then topping it up.

Next im going to start filtering the beer so I can be a little more careless with the finished product.

I think this is a little bit precious. We're using all natural ingredients and yeast is our friend. I go out of my way to get that sediment in my glass more often than not (depending on style at times I s'pose)

Agreed, I used to always roll a Coopers green before drinking. Still would if I ever have another, been a while though.

Get a Hermetus bottle opener. German built and reseals bottles after opening. Works a dream for the those longnecks.

Yeast
carniebrew said:
Agreed, I used to always roll a Coopers green before drinking. Still would if I ever have another, been a while though.
The yeast is a major flavour component in cooper pale. If you don't get it cloudy it tastes like Carlton ;)

Just bottle with a few different sizes. Not sure what the obsession with bottling in coopers tallies is - yeh i guess it saves some time although it's nothing compared to the time spent on actual brewday. I'll usually go 1/3 each stubbies, pints and longnecks (maybe skip the pints if it's particularly strong like belgians etc). Usually only open the tallies when there's a few mates around.

milestron said:
Just bottle with a few different sizes. Not sure what the obsession with bottling in coopers tallies is - yeh i guess it saves some time although it's nothing compared to the time spent on actual brewday. I'll usually go 1/3 each stubbies, pints and longnecks (maybe skip the pints if it's particularly strong like belgians etc). Usually only open the tallies when there's a few mates around.
Yeh I do that and try to open the tallies when I have more than just been drinking but its not always possible. Just curious to know what others do. Not really a problem I do finish the whole bottle anyway, although there are occasions when I have poured a glass then ended up not having the rest of the beer until the next night for various reasons. Still okay usually, some loss of carbonation but no too bad I guess.

I often have a long neck open in the fridge from the previous nights session and it is the first beer of the next session - without recapping or doing anything. The world doesn't end, the beer retains enough carbonation to be entirely palatable (except for those who like highly carbonated beer), and it tastes just as good - sure, a slightly different character perhaps, but so what?

I often fill a 1.5 litre jug from my keg to sit next to my chair for refills when I'm settling in for a movie or something. Are you really, definitely, concretely sure that 30 mins in the fridge without the lid on is going to do anything noticeable (your subjective perception being the key) to the beer? Many placebos are extremely effective due to much the same mechanism as what is probably going on with a beer over 30 minutes and your taste buds.

Try the old chestnut of dangling a teaspoon in the bottle. It doesn't work but it might make you feel better.

Seriously , just keeping it cold will do the trick until you're ready for the second pot. Maybe a "stubby holder" for your tallies would be the easiest option.

I often fill a 1.5 litre jug from my keg to sit next to my chair for refills when I'm settling in for a movie or something. Are you really, definitely, concretely sure that 30 mins in the fridge without the lid on is going to do anything noticeable (your subjective perception being the key) to the beer? Many placebos are extremely effective due to much the same mechanism as what is probably going on with a beer over 30 minutes and your taste buds.
No in fact I don think the 30 mins does anything and the next pour is fine. I was just curious if anyone uses any of the gadgets, or the old wives tails like a teaspoon or a match, and if they in fact work.

Truman said:
No in fact I don think the 30 mins does anything and the next pour is fine. I was just curious if anyone uses any of the gadgets, or the old wives tails like a teaspoon or a match, and if they in fact work.
Old wives have TAILS??? I think you are telling tales

rjo0422l.jpg

Truman said:
Cool, the way I read your OP was as less of a general survey of opinions (as above) and more one of concern over the beer... :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back