Saving A Milk Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhouken

Reaction score
Brewed a milk stout out of Brewing Classic Styles. Bottled after 2.5 weeks. FG was 1.030 (target 1.023). Bottle primed at 4.5g/750ml as per recipe. I normally prime higher at 7g/750ml. Beer is flat and sweet after 2 weeks in bottle and unlikely to go anywhere. Tried adding sugar now but it spouts out the top. Is it savable or is it down the drain?I fermented at 18C (controlled) instead of 20C (Safale S04). Where did it go wrong?

i would not be priming any extra in those bottles.in fact i would be putting the bottles somewere explosion proof if it was me.one of the reasons i dont use so4 is i found it just to likely to stall, its the only yeast ive ever had bottle bombs with. just put the bottles in a warm safe spot and i bet they will eventually carb up.

Brewed a milk stout out of Brewing Classic Styles. Bottled after 2.5 weeks. FG was 1.030 (target 1.023). Bottle primed at 4.5g/750ml as per recipe. I normally prime higher at 7g/750ml. Beer is flat and sweet after 2 weeks in bottle and unlikely to go anywhere. Tried adding sugar now but it spouts out the top. Is it savable or is it down the drain?I fermented at 18C (controlled) instead of 20C (Safale S04). Where did it go wrong?

To re-prime, you would be much better off calculating the amount you need and dissolving it in water, then adding with a disposable syringe. Much less likely to froth up.

HOWEVER: I'm with beerhog. 1030 is too high for most brews and I doubt it was finished. Why did you believe it was? I would have waited longer and tried to eek a few more points out before bottling. At the very least, a fast ferment test would have been a good idea. 2.5 weeks isn't a ridiculously long fermentation time.

2 weeks uncarbed is also not unheard of. Have the bottles been stored cold? What temperature?

To re-prime, you would be much better off calculating the amount you need and dissolving it in water, then adding with a disposable syringe. Much less likely to froth up.

HOWEVER: I'm with beerhog. 1030 is too high for most brews and I doubt it was finished. Why did you believe it was? I would have waited longer and tried to eek a few more points out before bottling. At the very least, a fast ferment test would have been a good idea. 2.5 weeks isn't a ridiculously long fermentation time.

2 weeks uncarbed is also not unheard of. Have the bottles been stored cold? What temperature?

I kept the bottles at 18C in temp controlled fridge. Have a strong scottish ale in fermenter at present also with S04 so will definately give it a bit longer and watch FG prior to bottling. What would be the alternative to S04 if it is prone to stalling?

Look at liquid yeasts and take your pick.

One reason I don't like S04 is that it is supposedly an English yeast but all the UK strains are different - there is no one size fits all (although I do have go to yeasts in liquids as well). US05 is a good neutral yeast to showcase hops and malt but s04 is just too generic for my liking.

By the way - I find most liquids go like the clappers for the first part of ferment, then slow right down between 1030 and 1020. They may need encouragement. Make sure your beer has attenuated as far as it can before you bottle. You will get better tasting beer anyway.

Back