Same grain bill hop experiment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mosto said:
I'm actually embarking on a similar experiment path. I also find just one malt to be a little lacking, so I'm using a grist of 90% BB Ale, 5% Light crystal and 5 % Carapils. For the hops, I'm trying to get a feel for what they bring fro bitterness, right through to aroma, so I do 10IBU @ 60mn, 20IBU cube hopped and 1g/L dry hopped. I've only done the one so far with Waimea, which is still in the fermenter.
Mosto,

When researching this grain bill, I also thought of using carapils and crystal but many think using both is not necessary. You get similiar effects:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/carapils-vs-crystal-malts-282594/

Im not sure if this is correct but made me think and i went woth the wheat malt in the end.

I am also splitting each brew into cubes and hopping them differently. I would love to have all 4 on tap for a side by side tasting....
Good luck with the task!
beercus

I use Carapils in most of my beers for head retention more than anything else. I know wheat has this effect but just not a fan of wheat flavour.

5% wheat in an APA or IPA and I dare say you wouldn't pick it...

Back