Salmon Patties suggestions needed fairly quickly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
OK I'm curried out for a while, SWMBO is stir fried out and can't eat steak etc till her new teeth arrive (too much info I know).

I've had this 440g tin of Aldi pink salmon knocking around in the cupboard for ages and totally overproduced mashed potatoes last night, so doing salmon patties.

However my usual recipe is a bit "meh" and more like UK Wartime Ration food - Normally just mash the spuds, salmon and a grated onion and fry in ghee.

Any suggestions on how to lift the humble patty to heights of gourmet delight?

Some turmeric and paprika in the mix goes well Bribie. Some fresh coriander goes well to.

Sounds awful but fresh herbs fix everything.

Lemon zest, fresh dill and some chopped capers would give those patties the lift they need.

If you don't have any of the above, dry toast a smidge of cumin, cook garlic on slow heat for 15 mins (don't brown) and add both of those in. Fresh chopped parsley or coriander if you have them.

Lemon definitely.

All you need to do to lift a humble patty to the heights of haute cuisine is to call em croquettes.

But yeah...lemon zest, fresh herbs. I'd bung in some chilli and/or paprika.

Cheers
Dave

Capers - right - I'd forgotten they even existed, I'll stroll round the corner and grab some from Bi-Lo
I also have Vietnamese Mint (not true mint, tastes almost identical to Coriander) in a pot and of course a shedload of Turmeric and Paprika in the curry section.

I think the capers would fit in nicely with all the other herbs and spices.

Just wiki'd capers and surprised that they are also native to Indo-malaya and Australia no less.

you will need 1 onion dice it up fine,

2 eggs to bind it

2 rolls or 2 handfuls of breadcrumbs

salt and pepper

a little spice whatever you like,

and then pimp with fresh herbs a little chilli and anything else you like,

should make some lovely patties

serve with sweet chilli sauce bit of fresh rocket and bobs you mothers brother.

...one egg to rule them all...

...and in the frying pan, bind them...

... in the land of Old Bar where the Capers lie (or stand on the shelf at BILO)

I was expecting to pay big money but just got a 110g jar of baby capers in white wine vinegar for $2 - perfect.

Thanks guys I'll post a BribiePictorial :D

I've been known to deep fry them in ball shape a la falafels. Gives them a delicious crispy skin.

Hahah,

Old Bar,

My inlaws used to live on Mitchells island there,

2 dollars thats the deal of the century, probably because nobody else knows what they are there, alot of smokers of wacky tobaccy that way :)

2 dollars dude , what are they?

A good dipping sauce is Kikoman soy sauce,sushi vinegar and a bit of chilli oil.Will cut through the richness of the salmon

Turned out great, really lifted them.

Mashed potato
grated onion
salmon
turmeric, paprika, chopped capers, viet mint
breadcrumbs for coating
ghee
drizzle with some Kewpie

patties 1.jpg

patties 2.jpg

Pairing: couple of pints of scrumpy aaaarrrrr

Salmon patties can just be really simple ie salmon potato leon zest egg to bind and ceumbed then some lovely home made tomato sauce and peas. But yeah those look good. Pimp th any which way.

it might sound like heresy but a little bit of smoked salmon along with the tinned stuff makes a nice addition.

Latest posts

Back