Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shaunous said:
Devhay let me know how that mincer performs whenever u give it a go. im in the market.
Worked a treat for what we wanted, put 5kg of pork shoulder and 2.5kg of beef girello through it on Saturday arvo and it didn't skip a beat

got a little warm towards the end, but I think that was more due to the meat being warming up towards the end too.

Productive day for sure we managed to pump out 2kg of Salami, 2kg of Chorizo, 2kg of smokey bacon bbq snags, some left over mince for general cooking, a pork belly bacon & a pancetta curing in the fridge and while all that was happening some roo jerky in the dehydrator.

Room to improve but I'd say a pretty successful effort for our first crack at sausages/salami, Salami is now hanging in a spare commercial style fridge in the garage with the door slightly ajar.. has been holding 10-15deg with 68-78% humidity

Now we play the waiting game.. will be monitoring the temp and humidity pretty closely, have a small clip fan and a humidifier I can set up on timers if it starts to vary

27762233103_4f19948847.jpg

28344553016_e856b46436.jpg

28344554146_9ae7fb7661.jpg

28095483410_d1896d4a42.jpg

Cheers Shaunous, was definitely a bit of fun!
Hopefully I can push it towards being a yearly tradition with the family haha

So far so good, is there anything I need to be keeping an eye out for while they're hanging?

Casings going hard, dark mould etc?

IMG_0744.JPG

Where are you hanging them? You want them in a cool dark environment with some air flow but not breezy. White mould is fine but black, blue or green mould is BAD. Use a cloth with red wine or vinegar to wipe mould off your salami's. I have some white mould on mine which I will wipe off soon but any other colour and it is straight away. As for case hardening there is not a lot you can do about it unless you are curing in a chamber. I cut one of my salami's last week at 3 weeks old and it was delicious but there was some case hardening. I have been spraying them down with water to keep humidity up but perhaps it has been a little too cold for them??

Keep doing what you are doing and you will learn.

I'm having a go shortly. I'll be using the banquet bags as I'll need to cure in the fridge, I'll also be using curing salt. All I have read says to heat the product - I will be smoking - to 60° internally. Has anyone done this? I assume it is like the heat treated commercial salamis?

The more I read the more I am confused.

Heated to 60C is cooked. If you do that, you are not making a salami.

Alright, I used the banquet bags from Smoked and Cured to make 1 kg of salami.
Will post some pics at the end.

Alright, I'll post progress and see how this shit works.

Recipe

Homemade Salami Soppressata

1kg Pork Shoulder
28g salt
2.5g / ½ teaspoon cure #2
12g / 2 teaspoon dextrose
2g / 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
1g / ½ teaspoon red peppers flakes
1g / 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
1g / ½ teaspoon chilli powder
1g / ½ teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon Bactoferm T-SPX

Dissolve culture in 2 tablespoons boiled and cooled water.

Mix all other ingredients.

After 15 minutes add the culture and mix.

15th

sMhLl4d.jpg

17th

SD52bey.jpg

Colour change due to the culture doing what it should. One more day then fridge for curing....

Not sure if you are following more detailed instructions elsewhere, but you probably want to make sure that when you mix the ingredients, you work the mixture well enough to emulsify it. It'll help with the final texture of the product.

Yep, got that one.
Just got some books too, a Salumi one and Chacuterie.

Pretty impressed with the casings from Smoked and Cured.
Had a sneaky ltaste a few days ago. The bigger ones are drying well and smell awesome.

Yeah look I am impressed. Pics above were my second lot.

Made some more today. Highly recommend these casings if anyone wants to have a play with something that works flawlessly and safely.
30°c here during the day and still able to cure!
Smoke gets through them too.

Back