Salami 101

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say that I am very disappointed there is no blonde in any of Merc's pictures... :blink:

I was lucky enough to grow up in a region of NSW ( Leeton in the Riverina) that had a large population of Italian migrants. All our neighbours where Italian

We used to do a yearly trade of meats. We would kill a steer,another friend killed a few lambs at the Italian's would do a pig

It was an amazing experience to see the process of making salami, bacon etc.

They would start with an old bath full of water on a fire then they would drop the pig in with a forklift.

Eventually after about 6 weeks they would bring the salami's etc around home and hang them up under the verandah.

They where the most amazing salam's I have ever eaten. Totaly fresh , made the Italian way..

The Salami's where awsome, but the vino was shit....made Ben Ean taste good...

Hey Devo, I know the store you mean - it's run by ther Biaggio family isnt it? Is the workshop open to anyone or invite only?

hey merc, this mob ended up falling through for some reason but my mate still managed to hook up another session with a werribee local who is known as the antz pantz for this kinda thing.

ended up making italian pork sausages and salami.

DSC03099.jpg
DSC03108.jpg
DSC03105.jpg
DSC03113.jpg
DSC03117.jpg
DSC03125.jpg
DSC03129.jpg

Devo the snags look great!

Okay time to finish off my salami's. The meat mix has been in the fridge for three days and the flavours are certainly well combined. So first off is to attatch the stuffing tube to the mincer

stuffing_attatchment.JPG

and then give the natural casings a bit of a wash and a soak in some water with a squeeze of lemon in it. Then I cut the length of casing I want to start with and give it a rinse through with cold water.

natural_casings.JPGcasing_soaking.JPG
rinsing_casings.JPG

Then thread it on to the stuffing tube and tie a knot in the end of the casing. When you first run your meat mix into the casing it will likely have a lot of air in it so have a sterilised pin handy and prick the casing several times so the air can escape. You should prick the sausage when ever you see air pockets as it helps in filling the casing properly and air in the sausage will allow the meat to go rancid and there fore spoil all your hard work.

threading_casing.JPGair_in_casing.JPG
filling1.JPG
okay it might not look all that appetising right now but keep reading.

Once you have a sausage about 20cm long stop the machine and carefully twist the sausage around several times so as to create a break before the next sausage. Also as it is important that your salami's do not touch each other as they are hanging to dry - if they do touch they will not dry correctly at that point which is not a good thing - so I pull some of the casing off the feeder tube before making my next sausage.

twist1.JPGtwist2.JPG
twist_complete.JPGspace_between.JPG

Now just repeat the process - fill, twist, space, fill, twist space - oh and admire your handiwork!

proud_of_my_work.JPGsausage.JPG

When the casing you threaded is used up cut another length give it a rinse and thread on to the filler tube and continue until you have a heap of sausages. I basically thread as much casing on as I can so I dont have to fiddle around with it. I made 17 sausages out of this batch and threaded casing onto the feeder only twice. If you get greedy and over stuff a sausage it will split, with practise you will get the hang of feeding the mixture in - but if it splits just pinch and twist the sausage a couple of centermeters before the split and tie a knot in the casing and you will end up with a short salami.

When you get down to your last bit of mix and last sausage peel a potato and cut it into small cubes and feed that through your mincer. This will push the remaining meat in the mixer through and into your last sausage. Make sure you dont get any potato into the sausage as this is not a good thing for your salami. If you do then tie it off and fry that sausage up for lunch it's actually quite nice as the potato cooks in the casing with the meat and it is yum!

potato_in_stuffer.JPGpotato_in_grinfer.JPG

Now it is time to string the sausages so that you can hang them. Use cooking twine but not the waxy version as that tends to slip and you will find your future salami's lying on the garage floor in the morning. I tie the string as close the the end of the sausage so as to avoid air pockets being created when you hang the sausage also this is a good time to prick the sausages to get rid of any air pockets. Occassionally the knots will slip off the ends of the sausages so check your knots.

stringing.JPG

Just to clarify - depending on the size of the sausages I group them into lots of two or three so I can hang them easily. I will cut the piece of skin between them so as to create these groups and I will, if need be tie the sausage ends I have cut so that they remain compact. I cut them in the middle of the extra casing I left between each sausage so I can use the casing ends to tie knots and tie them off. I will then use a longer piece of string and tie it to one end of the group - this becomes the hanging end. At the end of this process I have nine groups to hang with a total of 17 salami's in all.

hanging.JPG

Note the darker Salami's are the ones a made and hung the week before so they are drying along quite nicely.

Below are some pictures of the salami's after they have been hanging for one week after taking the pictures above of the making of them. The darker ones are the pork and beef, the redder looking ones have been hanging for two weeks and are pure pork.

hanging3.JPGhanging4.JPGhanging2.JPG

That is it for now. I will post a picture or two when I take them down and enjoy the fruits of my labour :D

Hey Paul,

Nice post; very detailed coverage of the process. And, the salamis look really good: I wouldn't mind getting into one of those with a brew or two. Can I ask what brand your mincer is and about how much it cost as I'm thinking of buying one in the near future for household sausage production?

How long do you leave them dangling/curing? Is it the old "longer the better rule"
Cheers
Steve

Wildschwien, here is a link to the mincer I have. I used to do all this with a hand cranked porketta and I have to say the electric mincer and filler is great - at least three times as fast and easy. Having help is good too, someone putting the meat mix in as some one else fills and twists.

http://www.sunbeam.com.au/products/product...2&sec_id=11

Steve, the time taken to hang and therefore dry varies according to size, weather and humidity. Basically I hang them until I judge that they are ready to be eaten. Last years lot dried too quickly so I oiled the outside to stop it going too hard whilst I was waiting for the middle to dry. You want the salami's to be firm to hard to the touch, if you let them hang longer after this they will become very hard to rock hard. They will still be edible (sliced real thin). Once I think they are ready I will take them down and off to my friendly butcher who cryovacs them for me in lots of two. I then can leave them in the fridge for months - but they never last!

Devo thanks for the comment. I certainly wouldnt mind you divulging some recipe information regarding the salami you made or is it a long held family secret? Come on cough it up B)

Oh and BTW the beer in the shots from the mincing day was a Becks - imported of course!

Hi Mercs,

Looks like some great fun and I would love to do it.

The obvious question from me is... What stops the meat from going off? Why use a sterilised needle if the meat obviously was not sterile to start with.

I know an Italian bloke who had a heart worm from eating meat that was not cooked (made his own proscuitto). Is that a risk too?

cheers

Darren

Darren, you got me there! I dont use a sterilised needle but I thought I would suggest that anyway as it seems safer.

The salt cures and preserves the meat. It is as simple as that. Cant really explain any more than that but you would be able to find heaps of info on the net regarding this. You do need to be aware when you eat the salami checking that it is okay and that it has cured properly. If you have a bit of an air pocket in the meat it can go rancid etc which means ditching that salami. If I am unsure about a salami I ditch it - better that than risking the alternative.

As for worms etc all that is possible but there are ways to avoid it. Keeping your work area, utensils and hands clean, keeping the meat cold and working fast so the meat does not get to warm is the go. Buy good meat - I must ask my butcher about the quality of the pork we get now as pigs that are fed bad things ie uncooked bits of other pigs that have the worm, can have worms. My butcher recently carved up two 180kilo pigs with a group of mates and family and made salami, procuitto hams etc so I dont think he is too concerned about the possibility of worms or bacteria. But if you are worried the best thing is to freeze the meat you are going to use for salami for a week or more before using it - this kills any worms that may be there - again do you own research on this as I am paraphrasing.

Oh, if you do freeze your pork to kill off any nasties it is best if you cut the meat up in to 2.5cm dice or so as this aids in the freezing and killing of any possible bugs - Trichinella spiralis there called. I dont know if they are the same as heart worm but they are a tiny round worm and fairly nasty if you get a lot of them. You should also freeze the meat for about 21 days.

Update: My first lot of salami has been hanging for three weeks and certainly seemed hard enough to have finished drying and ready to eat. I cut one done and cut the end off it to find that unfortunately whilost the outside was very firm the inside still had a little way to go before the drying out process was finsihed. It was okay to eat but I would have prefered it to be a little dryer. When cut open you see a darker red/greyish circle around the outside and the centre of the salami is still a fresh red kind of colour. It was dry but it needed a little more. The issue is if I leave them hanging as is the outside would dry even more trapping the moisture inside and therefore they would not dry out properly.

I had read somewhere that you could spray them with water to moisten and slow done the outside drying but I was a little worried about mold. A quick chat to my salami making butcher and he told me that he heard the Italians would use left over wine to wipe down the outside of the salami and slow the drying down so the inside could continue to dry out. So I bought a good bottle of Australian made Spanish style wine to spray onto my italian style salami. I gave them a good spritz so they were quite wet and have done so for the last couple of days - the outside is in good condition and the inside is feeling firmer so I reckon it has worked and they are almost done.

I'll post pics of the finished product.

Nice work Merc. Can't wait to see the pics.

This thread is another subsection of AHB that I will have to start following as my son presented me with this book last week. I put on five kilo just reading it, but I cant wait to extend my basic sausagecraft.
Charcuterie0001.JPG

River cottage is a great tv series as well. well worth a watch.
particularly the episode where hugh makes a cold smoker using an old cider barrel and air conditioning ducting.

Well the salami are all done and being eaten as I type. The first lot hang for just over 5 weeks and the beef and pork lot for just over 4 weeks. Spritsing them down with wine worked quite well

I could have started to spritz them a lttle sooner or perhaps because it was so cold they did dry a little quicker on the outside than I would have liked - they are very tasty though and the only problem I am having with them is going to be able to keep them long enough.

dried_1_1.JPG

Out of the 31 salami I made I only had to discard one. It had dried too fast and the meat in the middle dried and split leaving a small space running right through the length of the salami. When I squeezed this salami it was hard on the outside but felt hollow in the inside. This can be rancid and also have BAD bacteria so straight to the bin.

Here is a picture of the bad one held next to good examples of the straight pork (more red) and the pork and beef.

good_and_bad_1_1.JPG

Below is an example of how you can see the drying ring around the cured and dried meat.

good_and_ready_2_1.JPG

I took all the salami's to my butcher and for a fee - a couple of salami he cryovaced the rest in packs of two. Started out two weeks ago with about 32 packs and am now down to about 25 - too many too fast and too long to wait until next winter so as I can make my next batches.

cryovaced.JPG

BTW the pork and beef with garlic and red wine which I never made before came out great!

Fantastic work Merc. I am drooling just thinking about those salamis!

I am a fresh sausage maker and have been closely following this thread for some time and feel very much inspired to have a crack next year. I have thought about home salami making for years but your step by step quide with pics make me feel a lot more comfortable. And I also now have a fathers day prezzy lined up...the Charcuterie book..

:beer:

Latest posts

Back