Saison

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingPython

Reaction score
I've tried searching but can't seem to find many ki\extract recipes for saison (or a simple saison) so I'm not sure how to go about it. This is what I was thinking

1.75 kg Light DME
0.25 Candi Sugar

20 grams of Styrian Goldings for 20 minutes
1/2 teaspoon black pepper for 10 minutes
10 grams corrainder seed for 5 minutes
1 star anise for 5 minutes

made to 11 litres using Wyeast Saison. I'm not really sure about the hop additions though.

Take half the 20 minute hops out and boil them for 60, otherwise you'll end up with too much hop flavour and not enough bitterness.

This is all taken from an american store's recipe I found a while ago.
Otherwise, definitely search around american sights, particularly stores, as you can nearly always find extract recipes....

For CaraVienne and aromatic substitute something like caraaroma and melanoiden respectively I believe.
Alternatively, skip the grain additions, up the exctact slightly and follow the hop and spice additions should you desire.
This beer is largely about the yeast anyway. Do not be tempted to use anything other than a dedicated saison yeast in my book. You just won't achieve the right result.

Recipe

*Belgian CaraVienne 8.0 ounces​
grains bagged together *Belgain Aromatic 4.0 ounces​
DME light 6.0 pounds​
Candi Sugar Light 1.0 pounds​
Corn Sugar (Bottling) 0.75 cups​
Styrian Golding (Bittering) 1.5 ounces​
Saaz (Flavoring) 1.0 ounces​
Saaz (Finishing) 1.0 ounces​
Irish Moss 1.0 package​
Orange Peel 0.5 Ounces​
Corriander 1.0 Ounces​
Wyeast #1388 Belgian Strong Ale 1.0 package​
OR​
White Labs Saison WLP-565 1.0 package​
OR​
Doric Ale Yeast (Dry) 1.0 package​
Date Gravity​
Brewing:​
Racking:​
Bottling:​
Alcohol: %​
Place cracked grain in grain bag and add to 2 to 2-1/2 gallons of water (tap, filtered, or bottlednot distilled).​
Turn burner to medium and allow grains to steep for a minimum of 30 minutes. (150 to 155​
?F is ideal).

Remove grain bag and dissolve Dried Malt Extract (DME) in brew kettle. Make sure that DME is completely dissolved before​
applying heat.​
Turn up heat to achieve boil.​
Add bittering hopsset timer for 35 minutes. After 35 minutes.​
Add Irish Moss and Candi Sugarset timer for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes.​
Add Flavoring Hops set timer for 10 mins. After 10 mintues​
Add finishing hops, (cracked) Corriander, and Orange Peel set timer for 2 minutes.​
Remove from heat, cover pot and place in ice bath.​
Cool to 70 to 80​
? F.

Add to primary fermenter by straining through filter funnel, top up with water to 5 gallons and mix and aerate well by​
shaking fermenter.​
If using liquid yeast.follow liquid yeast starter instructions for Wyeast or pitch White Labs (bring to room temp​
first). (Call if you do not have this)​
If using dry yeast. sanitize a glass and proof (rehydrate) yeast in 95​
?F water, cover with aluminum foil.

Wait 10 minutes and stir with a sanitized spoon. Wait 5 minutes and pitch into cooled wort.​
You should have active fermentation within 8 to 36 hours.​
Once fermentation is complete, transfer to secondary (if you have one) for 1-4 weeks or bottle as usual​

Thanks for the info, I'll take a look around some of the American sites. From the searching I've done must people prefer the WHite Labs over the Wyeast is there really a great amount of difference?

Back