Saflager S33

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crakaz

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and intend to brew a Black Rock Dry Lager at a refrigerated 12deg. Celcius. The fermenter is a standard 25l plastic. I've done a little bit of research and have come to realise that I may need to purchase another dry yeast (11.5g) Saflager S23. Does this seem correct?

If you are planning to just pitch the dry yeast onto the wort, 2 packets is advisable. Due to lower fermentation temperature, yeast reproduction to optimal population takes longer, and can result in ester/by-product formation if the initial population isn't high enough (you don't want this for a dry lager).

You can pitch 1 packet if you really can't be bothered, except it may require longer conditioning to get to the same quality. Other option is to make a starter, which is covered many times over in the forum database.

If you are relatively new to brewing and haven't done a lager, or a starter before; my advice is to pitch 2 packets of healthy yeast and concentrate on keeping your fermentation temperature and racking technique under control. There's nothing worse to having something small wrong with a beer, and not knowing where it came from because you tried x new things.

Welcome to the forums.

Back