Saflager S23

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mclovin

Reaction score
Hi all

I am using a sachet of S23 lager yeast for the first time and am wondering if i pitch the whole sachet of yeast at 25'C will this be ok.

The instructions say between 11-15'C for fermentation. These temps will be no probs in Melbourne at the moment its freezing cold here. The wort has taken about 1 day to drop down to 15'C.

Hi all

I am using a sachet of S23 lager yeast for the first time and am wondering if i pitch the whole sachet of yeast at 25'C will this be ok.

The instructions say between 11-15'C for fermentation. These temps will be no probs in Melbourne at the moment its freezing cold here. The wort has taken about 1 day to drop down to 15'C.

No probs Mate,

Sounds like the wort was down to the correct temp by the time the yeast went anaerobic and started to produce byproducts.... Ethanol etc

RDWHAHB :icon_cheers:

PB

From the few times I have used Saflager I found I couldn't keep it cool enough with my current brew set up. You really do need to keep it at the 15'C max other wise some off flavours creep in, and above 20'C I found I get some really funky flavours.

Drew

Hi all

Correct, you will want to pitch the dry yeast between 20C and 25C if you do not make a starter. If you are pitching into 11-15C then you will want to make a starter to get more viable yeast cells because the colder temperature will not start fermentation as quickly.

When I use S23, I tend to control the temperature reduction by 2 - 3 C a day until I reach 12C. Never had a bad batch yet and no funky flavours! :)

Back