Safale And Rehydration

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RegBadgery

Reaction score
I usually rehydrate dried yeast prior to pitching - in fact I hadn't pitched non-rehydrated dried yeast for quite a while.

Anyway just recently I bunged in a sachet of safale - directly to the wort. I've never previously had any problems with this yeast but this time it just didn't take off - must have been a couple of days without any activity.

Finally I pitched a sachet of nottingham I happened to have - it was much older than the safale - almost a year - but it took off pretty quickly.

I don't know what was going on - have never struck this before - wort was aerated to blazes - temp was ok - will certainly rehydrate in future.

cheers
reg

I do not normally rehydrate Safale, though having done it for saflager a few times, I gave it a shot for the brew i did in the weekend.
1053 down to 1015 in fortyeight hours.
Foam everywhere.

In the past I have only ever re-hydrated yeast for ginger beer as it comes with nutrient.
However a few brews back I was brewing when not expected so didn't have a liquid yeast starter ready.
I re-hydrated two packets of saflager and pitched into my AG Pils. Fantastic take up and it was fermenting well. in no time. The resultant beer is great too.
No overflow though thank goodness.

The only volcanic ferment I've had was with a Trappist I brewed last year using Wyeast 3787 Belgian High Gravity yeast. Messy messy messy but a great beer.

Cheers,
Doc

This nottingham yeast is pretty entertaining - looks like a relief map of a barren mountain range.

cheers
reg

I have been brewing for a year without rehydrating any of my dry yeasts without any problems at all. However, I rehydrated the yeast for my last two batches and they took off a good 8 hours earlier than the non-rehydrated batches. I will be rehydrating every time from now on.

The big question is what temp do you rehydrate at? I have read a lot of conflicting info on this but have settled on 38C as the optimum temp based on an article I read on the craftbrewers website. What do you guys reckon?

Also, on the subject, if you use yeast nutrient, when do you use it - when you are rehydrating, or when you pitch?

- Snow.

Danstar give the following recommendation, which I follow.

http://consumer.lallemand.com/danstar-lalv...nstarrehyd.html

cheers
reg

1.For best results, rehydrate the Danstar active dried beer yeast by opening the 11 gram sachet and pouring contents into 100 mL (1/3 cup) clean 35C (95F) water.

2. Stir lightly and allow the yeast suspension to stand for at least 15 minutes but no longer than 30 minutes, then stir again.

3. Then pour the yeast suspension (inoculation) into the wort to start the fermentation. To avoid problems, just follow Clayton's Fermentation Hints for successful fermentation.

Sounds about right to me Reg. I sometimes feed it a spoonful of whatever is in the boil (chilled of course) to get it acclimatised to the wort, about 30 mins before pitching, but after rehydration is complete. I read somewhere that it gets the yeast ready for business once pitched into the fermenter.

Back