Sabmiller Hostile Bid For Fosters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well, When Lion Nathan took over SA brewing I stop buying their products, and haven't suffered, so the same will go with Fosters products now too. That leaves me with Coopers and a multitude of local micros to choose from. Strangely enough I feel no lose as most of the beer I consume I make myself, devoiding both the government and foreign shareholders access to my hard earned cash.

Raise the middle digit to the money grubbing shareholder owned companies who send our jobs and profits overseas, Buy Australian Owned, Grown & Made.

SAB Miller now have a reasonable sized brewery right on Sydney's doorstep with full rights to the Fosters Brands. Expect a flood of VB heading your way Sydneysiders :icon_cheers:

Actually it could result in some NSW-only brands returning from exile where they are currently produced at Abbotford or Yatala - for example Reschs draught, Sheaf Stout, DA, KB whatever.

Given the way Cooper's stood up and told LN to piss-off when they wanted to take them over, I am proud to drink their product.

View attachment 48492

I can't believe our legislation is skewed towards these corporations rather than to some ordinary guy that wanted to open a pub and brew his own beer in that pub.

It's ludicrous.

I think the two big Australian brewers are still working on a misguided good-will from consumers and politicians that they are Aussie icons. It would be unAustralian to talk trash about VB, Tooheys New or XXX. You'd risk upsetting a lot of Australians.

However with complete foreign ownership this good will that is protecting them will quickly erode. The marketing lie they portray will finally be too far stretched and I think at that point it will be easier to pass legislation to help out independent breweries.

Pfft - I doubt it. Holden have been relying on the marketing lie for the last 50 years. The majority of their cars sold are Korean, original Commodore was a rebadged Opel Reckford with a Torana engine, and if you say to some bogan that you buy a certain Japanese brand, it's "unAustralian" - Holden is the good Aussie car.

Realistically - the beer will be the same. The bogan will drink his "Aussie" beer, ignorant of the fact that the dollars he spends go overseas.

Be interesting to see if they re-introduce microbrewery laws on the back of this, or they were just trying to get a quick bit of political ammo with the electorate.

So did the Greens deliberately put it up yesterday knowing that it would get voted down - they can now say they tried to support a better excise deal for craft brewers without having to deal with the political consequences of supporting the alcohol industry (ie. questions to answer about domestic violence, road toll, CO2 emisions etc)

i think more likely sab-miller waited to see the outcome of the greens bill, as it could potentially make their fosters deal worth less.

sim

I wonder sometimes, just how stupid do the big commercial breweries assume their customers are?

I was just listening to a statement made by some woman about her concerns that jobs may be lost and operations may move away from Victoria.
She went on to say that it is very important to consumers that brands like Victoria Bitter are made in Victoria.

WTF??? What about the importance of making brands like Budweiser in America? Or Corona in Mexico?

A fair whack of VB is made at Yatala - also note that there is no longer "Victoria Bitter" - it's been removed from the label and now it's just VB.

Edit: a bit like KFC fifteen or so years ago . I asked my two gen Y boys what "KFC" stands for and they had NFI.

A fair whack of VB is made at Yatala - also note that there is no longer "Victoria Bitter" - it's been removed from the label and now it's just VB.

Edit: a bit like KFC fifteen or so years ago . I asked my two gen Y boys what "KFC" stands for and they had NFI.

Kentucky Fried Cat.

Goomba

Just goes to show what a crock of shit the whole operation is.

My interest in commercial megabreweries is inversly proportional to my interest in brewing beer at home.

If the Pope buys Fosters it will make very little difference to my life - 'cept Thirsty Boy might start preaching to someone else but the choir.

Pretty sure the Pope has a taste for Franziskaner, not Fosters, so you're safe. for now.

this topic was on JJJ Hack when I got in the car this arvo, interestingly they were saying that Coopers only have a 4% market share in Aus... and have been here doin it for the Green and Gold for 150 years next year... cant wait for the merch

:rolleyes:

also note that there is no longer "Victoria Bitter" - it's been removed from the label and now it's just VB.
Interestingly enough, I found these at the local Liquorland tonight...
VBHeritage_Cans250.jpg
Maybe she was talking about this release in particular? (I doubt it though)

A few weeks ago, while watching Collingwood thrash the Eagles (be still my heart), I'm pretty sure the voice-over during a VB ad refered to it as "Victoria Bitter". They might be resurecting it locally here in Australia to try and win back those who have deserted the beer.

O.T. - car'n the Pies!!

Could be a promotion to mark the rebirth of the C.U.B. name.

Latest posts

Back