Sa Ahb Meets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
After listening to http://www.basicbrewing.com/radio/mp3/bbr12-22-05.mp3 show about the KGB brewers club in America, I thought, oh yeah, i reckon SA & Adelaide needs this badly.

What's the legalities of getting a heap of HB beers served at a hired venue in SA?

We should be eating and drinking more together. But more importantly, drinking each others beers. Having a yarn and a shit-load of beers with a feed. Get a heap of people together, kick in a few bucks each and all of a sudden there's a few $$$ to throw towards a big day out. Economy of scale.
The case swaps are a great way of trying variety but there's a lot of people like me that are too lazy or time strapped to bottle.
I'm sure there's a heap of lurkers out there itching to see why this all-grain thing is so hyped. Be keen on showing up at a venue for an cheap feed and free beer.

The face-to-face meeting is the way to go for learning and enjoying. You're always going to get more out of real interaction than online forums - great though forums are for convenience.
The licensing issues could be interesting. It depends a bit on the venues you had in mind. BYO restaurants should be okay though many aren't keen - or licensed - for beer.
There are other ways to be creative but it would depend on how cooperative the owner/licensee were willing to be.
Ultimately I'd love to see a venue who would actually put on homebrewer's product as a 'Guest' beer. Again, some interesting licensing issues may present themselves. They'd also have to be pretty sure that they're not just hosting a bunch of blokes who use the venue for a piss-up and actually provide no return to the place.

What do people do from other states? Do they manage to hire venues for a night? Or is it all at peoples homes?

This is an interesting concept. I suspect that with multiple kegs there it would turn messy very quickly :party: . Not too many licencees would want this on their premises.

A couple of years back Mike Leupold established a homebrew club that met at the Blackwood RSL hall. At the start about 30 or more brewers turned up to the meetings. Unfortunately the meetings turned from brewing focused to a beaurocratitic nightmare.

In the end a Jovial Monk turned into Rumpelstiltskin and that was the end of the club.

Was good whilst it lasted though.

cheers

Darren

I have been informed taht the Tanunda RSL could be such a venue...
and host a home brewer night...

But the problem would be that it is "out of the way" no public transport etc..

I'm not against getting together but as soon as things start getting "organised" they seem to start getting difficult. This is the kind of thing where one person needs to grab it and run with it because you know what happens when things are left to a committee.

yeah, needs to be in Adelaide with maybe the occasional regional show.
I spoke to a barman in a club not far from my home.
He said he'd be willing to give a keg a try one night - he thought as long as we aren't charging for it, it wouldn't be illegal.
Venue would have to make money on food and maybe a small fee each because they aren't making money on grog.
I really think it's worth looking into.

Aaron, that's why I think this wouldn't be too difficult.
Maybe 2 meets a year. Food and beer. No committees, no judging, no speeches, no newsletters, no minutes, just rock up, pay your $5 and drink, eat and chat.

Venue would have to make money on food and maybe a small fee each because they aren't making money on grog.
I really think it's worth looking into.

tangent

As soon as you charge a "small fee" a sale has taken place, so technically, you are getting into a frowned on activity and start to run foul of liquour licensing and ATO Excise rules.

The Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner would be the first ones to ask. If we get a definite ruling, we know where we stand. Most of the people in there are more than willing to help.

Cheers
Pedro

tangent

As soon as you charge a "small fee" a sale has taken place, so technically, you are getting into a frowned on activity and start to run foul of liquour licensing and ATO Excise rules.

The Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner would be the first ones to ask. If we get a definite ruling, we know where we stand. Most of the people in there are more than willing to help.

Cheers
Pedro

Do what a lot of associations do- when people pay, say "thanks for the donation" :D

In reply to your e-mail regarding gathering at a Hotel or Club for the tasting of home brew, as long as it is with licensees consent you are able to do this.

Brad Simpson
Customer Service Officer

Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner
GPO BOX 2169, ADELAIDE SA 5001
www.olgc.sa.gov.au

so all we need now is a venue, a date and a heap of thirsty brewers.

In reply to your e-mail regarding gathering at a Hotel or Club for the tasting of home brew, as long as it is with licensees consent you are able to do this.

Brad Simpson
Customer Service Officer

Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissioner
GPO BOX 2169, ADELAIDE SA 5001
www.olgc.sa.gov.au

so all we need now is a venue, a date and a heap of thirsty brewers.

I think Pedro'c omments were not in relation to the State based legal aspects of liqour licensing administered by the Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissions, but in regards to Federal laws on excise administered by the ATO.

In regards to liqour license laws, it is not hard and fairly inexpensive to get a limited license which allows for the sale or free distrubtion of alcohol (following all pertinrnt laws like not serving to under 18's). It is quite easy to comply with these laws.

However, if a cover charge is levied to recoup costs, the ATO might associate the cover charge with the alcohol consumption i.e. you only get to enter and drink if you pay. This might be considered an act of selling alcohol. Even if you're not selling individual drinks, you might still be considered to be selling alcohol in general. As already identified you need a license to sell alcohol, but you are only allowed to sell alochol that has had excise paid on it. To pay excise on the production of alcohol, you must be a licensed producer.

Do what a lot of associations do- when people pay, say "thanks for the donation" :D

And if the ATO ask who or what the money is being donated to? Donations are not automatically tax exempt, so again you might be in trouble because the Government hasn't had it's cut of the loot.

Cheers
MAH

I think Pedro'c omments were not in relation to the State based legal aspects of liqour licensing administered by the Office of the Liquor and Gambling Commissions, but in regards to Federal laws on excise administered by the ATO.

MAH is sorta correct about what I was on about - the ATO laws are probably the hardest ones to cover.

Tangent - did you mention to the OLGC about a "cover charge" at all or just about serving drinks at a hotel?

Cheers
Pedro

"Good morning.

I have a slightly unusual query regarding liquor licensing and would appreciate some feedback.

I'm a member of a club of home brewers. We're keen to have a get together twice a year, preferably at a club or pub so we have proper toilet facilities etc. rather than a private location.
What are the legalities of serving our own beers? Obviously there would be no charge as we aren't looking to become commercial brewers or make any money. We just want to try each other's beers.
Because the venue wouldn't be making any money on the beer, we'd probably have to pay for the use of the venue. Can we charge an admission fee for the use of the building but still give away free beer?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
"

I think if a receipt was kept for hire of the venue and $$ collected equals receipt, all is good.

Tangent,

Just a little idea i thought I might throw forward... I am moving to Adelaide in the new year so I am keen to see this take off. I have just done the rounds with a few ideas I had to get an idea of prices involved and of course any implications regarding the whole liquor licensing thing.

Place: How about hiring a Community Hall in Adelaide somewhere. I called one and they have quoted a price of $95.90 per hour. This includes use of the kitchen and dining room. However if we cut away the kitchen and Dining room we can pay $71.10 per hour. Depending on numbers this will work out quite cheap. There are also ammenities available in the centre.

Food: A quick search has found there is a spit roast catering company in Adelaide that will come and cater a meal for a very reasonable price. They cook the meat there for you so it is fresh. There is salads bread and condiments, plates and cutlery also included. Cost is $15.50 including GST. Minimum guests 30, however if the guest list is under 60 there is an additional fee of $70 for staffing. This company also do platters and more extravigant menus.

Drinks: Obviously the idea is for people to bring along thier own kegs of beer etc.. for tasting by all that are attending. This of course is where the liquor licensing bump comes into play. After a couple of phone calls I found that the community hall allows supply of own drinks and that for a fee of just a mere $33 per day we can get a temp license to serve alcohol in said community centre.

Serving of kegged beer: Upon arrival into Adelaide I will be completing my new bar which I plan not only to have set-up at home but also to be able to chuck on the back of a trailer and take to partys for such events. It will have a 4 tap font on it and will comfortable hold 6 or so kegs. So once I am in Adelaide(around March'ish) this is a viable option for serving, of course I am sure there is a few other people in the greater Adelaide area with set-ups that would do the job just fine.

Also I would suggest that a few people(SWMBO :p) stay in reasonable shape so that at the end of the night things can be sorted and cleaned up and locked as required. This of course also negates the problem of anyone upsetting Joe Citizen about our fun behaviour

Well let me know what you think of this idea?

Cheers

HK

HK - i was looking at small club with pooltables, projection TV and a 4 tap bar all ready to go. Hire fee is a flat $200 but if you're a member you can get it with up to 2x bar staff for $50. They run a bbq for $2 each.
The only thing is the kegs would need to be snap-lock capable.
I have 3x kegs that are, and was thinking of leaving the Coopers Pale on so the club still makes money on Pale, but HB is free.
The place already has a liquor licence so no hassles there.

Back