Ruined Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhouken

Reaction score
Brewed a Dr Smurto's golden ale. After 1.5 weeks in PET bottle thought I would have little taste. Smells a bit "rotten eggy" :unsure: . Tastes ok though. Not sure of source as I have had a few firsts with this brew - first time using unfiltered water, first time cleaning bottles with (unscented) bleach solution (did not rinse) and first time I had to siphon from kettle to FV by sucking on the end of the tube. Not sure of the source of the off smell - infection or will it clear?

Brewed a Dr Smurto's golden ale. After 1.5 weeks in PET bottle thought I would have little taste. Smells a bit "rotten eggy" :unsure: . Tastes ok though. Not sure of source as I have had a few firsts with this brew - first time using unfiltered water, first time cleaning bottles with (unscented) bleach solution (did not rinse) and first time I had to siphon from kettle to FV by sucking on the end of the tube. Not sure of the source of the off smell - infection or will it clear?

What Yeast did you use? sounds like a sulfur smell to me.

The source of the smell could possible be a sulphic yeast smell that some yeast produce and can scrub out over time,

but in reality the not washing out of the bleach, the sucking on the siphon tube are way biggest issues. you seem to know that anyway

the sulpher (fart) smell is a bit disconcerting when you first encounter it. A bit more time in the bottle and it should fade away.

the sulpher (fart) smell is a bit disconcerting when you first encounter it. A bit more time in the bottle and it should fade away.

I told the missus the same thing 27yrs ago when I dropped one in the car. She reckons it has on ly got worse with age. :)

mate....
Few things to fix with your next brew ( like rinsing after using bleach and then using a NO RINSE SANITISER like iodopher or starsan )
Howver...
The smell you descibe could be sulpher from fermentation and it will eventually fade...RHAHB...relax..have a home brew...
Siphoning from kettlw to FV can be done also by filling your siphon tube with sanitiser , pinching one end ( the end in the fv ) and then letting mother gravity do its work ( and letting the sanitiser flow onto the floor lol..before getting the end of the tibe into the FV )
Most infections don't smell like sulphor...however..that isnt to say you don't have one....
Good luck...
Ferg

mate....
Few things to fix with your next brew ( like rinsing after using bleach and then using a NO RINSE SANITISER like iodopher or starsan )
Howver...
The smell you descibe could be sulpher from fermentation and it will eventually fade...RHAHB...relax..have a home brew...
Siphoning from kettlw to FV can be done also by filling your siphon tube with sanitiser , pinching one end ( the end in the fv ) and then letting mother gravity do its work ( and letting the sanitiser flow onto the floor lol..before getting the end of the tibe into the FV )
Most infections don't smell like sulphor...however..that isnt to say you don't have one....
Good luck...
Ferg

Was doing the same with the siphon and it works a treat but i've just recently brought a easy siphon from my LHBS for about $20 and its bloody great, bit more cleaning though, and Sanitising with Starsan!

Back