Ross & Kegging Guru's

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

normell

Winter's Flat's #1 Brewer, now that XXXX have move
Reaction score
My kegging fridge is out of action, whilst I set up my brand new F&P freezer (about a week away).
Can I still put a brew into a keg, burp it, and leave it at room temp., then chill and carbinate it later.
I dont think it will be a problem, but some feedback will be appreciated.

Normell.

normell said:
My kegging fridge is out of action, whilst I set up my brand new F&P freezer (about a week away).
Can I still put a brew into a keg, burp it, and leave it at room temp., then chill and carbinate it later.
I dont think it will be a problem, but some feedback will be appreciated.

Normell.
[post="88624"][/post]​

Already replied to your pm :)

I do this every week...got a warm keg sitting not 3 metres from me that was filled, burped and ever-so-slightly gassed on Monday (31/10/05) :)

Mind you, at this afternoon's drinking pace, it'll be in the fridge before sundown :party:

*edit* - I'm no "guru", but still couldn't help posting :lol:

PZ.

Hey Fingerlickin, whats PZ? Noticed you end in this every time? your initials?

Norm, I'm sure Ross answered your qu but yep, no dramas I have found doing this. I only have room for 2 kegs at a time which is quite anoying

Ales shold probably stored at room temp anyhow
cheers
Darren

sluggerdog said:
Hey Fingerlickin, whats PZ? Noticed you end in this every time? your initials?

Funny, eventually I get asked that on almost every forum :)

It could be a very complicated story Sluggerdog, but I'll try and break it down the essentials.

When I first started using the internet and posting on scratch DJ related forums I noticed a lot of kids saying "peace" at the end of their posts.
I initially used "peas" at the end of my posts (a bit of a dig at the white kids trying to be homies online), but a few others started copying me.
At some stage I decided "PZ" would be better...even some of the stupider people on the DJ forums didn't get it and people only used it when replying to me.

I've used it ever since........being that it has become my "signature" :D

PZ.

p.s. my real initials are BJ ;)

Personally, I'd prefer to store all beers in the fridge, ale or lager, they just stay fresher longer. And I just can't stand stale beer.

Keeping them out for a little while (< week) is fine though.

Cheers

No reasoning. Just common sense. Obviously, if your room temp is 40 degrees in the back shed, then NO room temp will not do. If you store your kegs filled with ale under the house or in a cellar it will not effect the beer. Will actually allow the beer tomature properly.
Conversely, If you store your ales under lager type conditions (less than 4 C), they will lose alot of the ale characteristics. I think when they drop clear the chill haze takes something with it. Usually a lot of the fruitiness is gone.
Sure if you can't keep it cool put it in the fridge!.
cheers
Darren

sosman said:
Darren said:
Ales shold probably stored at room temp anyhow
What is the reasoning behind that?

My dad told me that when he lived in London (35+ years ago), people sold small middy-sized cans of ale at the markets that were just sitting in the sun, everyone bought them and simply chugged them down on the spot :eek:

I know "warm" ale isn't supposed the be served that warm, but.........I'm going off-topic here aren't I?

PZ.

For storing my kegs I have a nice place set aside, where they will be fine. It's the same place where I ferment my beer, under the staircase. Nice, stable temperature that is prefect for storage- it's also where I condition my stubbies

Darren said:
Conversely, If you store your ales under lager type conditions (less than 4 C), they will lose alot of the ale characteristics. I think when they drop clear the chill haze takes something with it. Usually a lot of the fruitiness is gone.
cheers
Darren
[post="88689"][/post]​

:blink: :blink: - you're entitled to your opions but, I store my kegs at 2c & it's NEVER removed any fruitiness - So is this an asumption, or based on fact?...

Ross said:
Darren said:
cheers
Darren
[post="88689"][/post]​

:blink: :blink: - you're entitled to your opions but, I store my kegs at 2c & it's NEVER removed any fruitiness - So is this an asumption, or based on fact?...
[post="88775"][/post]​

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ross,
Ever tried storing one keg in the fridge and one keg out of the fridge (same beer of course) for a month. I have. It is not the same beer. The "lagered" beer will be very bright with a thinner body. The beer stored outside the fridge will have a slight haze and will be fuller bodied and fruitier.
cheers
Darren

Further to that, ever noticed how fruity a lager can be at the end of ferment, but after storage at 2 degrees for a month that fruitiness goes.
Same with ales. I guess you serve your ales at 2 degrees too :D

Darren

Most lager yeasts will work at temps below 5c, albiet slowly. Don't quote me but I'm pretty certain that ale yeasts go into shutdown. Lagering ales (sounds like an oxymoron already) would be a total WOFTAM. :ph34r:

Ales like Kolsch and Alts generally use hybrid yeasts that produce both qualities. That's why they most likely improve with cold conditioning.

Warren -

Darren,

As Warren states, the yeast is still active in a lager during the lagering phase, & you would normally "lager" uncarbonated as well.
I have never noticed any thinnning or drop off in fruitiness of my ales EVER from cold storage of the finished, carbonated beer.
I would expect, if anything, the warm beer to brew out more in the warm conditions & become less full bodied & fruity, in a similar manner in my experience, to the ales I prime & bottle (at the same time as kegging), which are then stored warm. They are to me, never as full flavoured & fruity as my kegs.

& no I don't drink my ales at 2c :D

each to there own i guess but i would give it a go to see the difference then i can form an honest opinion.mind you up here in the tropics room temp can be iffy at times.

cheers
big d

Ross,
bet you drink the kegs straight away whilst the bottles need at least two weeks to carbonate. Once all the food is gone for the yeast they will stop. If they have both been secondaried at ale fement temps they should have the same attenuation. Bottles usually have half percentage point more alcohol than kegged beer too.
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
Ross,
bet you drink the kegs straight away whilst the bottles need at least two weeks to carbonate. Once all the food is gone for the yeast they will stop. If they have both been secondaried at ale fement temps they should have the same attenuation. Bottles usually have half percentage point more alcohol than kegged beer too.
cheers
Darren
[post="88810"][/post]​

Both get tried at same age - My serving fridge only holds 5 kegs, so with 15 beers currently kegged, I switch them backwards & forwards between my storage fridge (2c) as I fancy them.
Anyway - I'm only reporting what I find in my beers - who knows what reasons yours act in a totally different manner :blink: . So I guess others have a 50/50 chance on what happens to their's... :)

I'm in the same boat as big d re room temps. I brew (kits and bits ales) in the spare bathroom, fermenting fridge (stuffed compressor) is held as close to 21-22C as I can with ice bricks whilst ambient / room temp is around 30C. Following keg filling and burping I store them in this room for about a month before carbonation and chilling / storing in beer fridge which is out on the back patio (ambient 34-35C). Temp control is a little bit of a hit and miss affair. I'm just using one of those $30 Engel temp. gauges. I have the probe rubberbanded to the side of the keg but it can read 5C one minute then the next time I look it will be reading -0.5C. I've given up on trying to get it steady so as long as the beer is cold I drink it.
Since brewing in sunny Darwin this is all I have done so can't comment on differences in taste due to temp. variations.

nt
:beer:

Back