Rolled Oats, What's The Limit, % Wise?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked the gravity today, and there was a good inch of krausen there. Its fermenting, and there is krausen. Might actually work. Though i did order some Oat malt, and some flaked oats haha. I plan on doing some more experiments with oats.

Keen to hear your tasting notes.

I am still drinking a mild containing the spec oats. I love it.

Remember - Harviestoun use oats in Bitter and Twisted. I could mainline that beer.

Hmm i'll have to look out for Bitter n Twisted. So far tasting like a nice mild, a little silky on the tongue, but not extreme, and the krausen sticks to the side of the test tube. Should be kegged by monday, tasted by wednesday haha.

Kegged and carbed. Well, its definately got a head, so a tick there. Flavour wise, its a nice mild, i like it. The mouthfeel is a bit more silky than other beers yep, but not as silky smooth as i'd expected. If blindfolded i definately wouldn't straight away pick it is a beer with heaps of rolled oats in it because of the mouthfeel.

So for this experiment i guess i can say that i don't really get the super creamy mouthfeel and thick creamy head in beers with lots of oatmeal. Maybe a higher gravity beer with more body might show a difference? Dunno, maybe a beer engine would push it more? Again, i dunno.

I think the idea that a very oat-y beer will be super creamy is probably just an extrapolation of the fact that a small amount of oats adds a bit of silkiness - probably not based on extensive experimentation.

From reading a bit of the Barkley Perkins blog, it seems oatmeal stouts originally had very little oat content.

Anyway, great to hear that it has a nice head, oats sound like a good addition to a mild.

Now to find room in my brewing schedule for an oatmeal stout...

I've got some oat malt coming, so I'll try another oat beer, but a bigger beer, probably porter,with the oat malt. See what happens.

Back