Rhubarb Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn Doc, 1 beer at the Taphouse and 1 at Potters, what's next?
Well done!! :super:

Good things come in three's. So what is going to be the third ? mmmmmmm.............. :p

Doc

I am making something like this and will be adding the rhubarb tomorrow or Thursday. Across the stuff on the net that I have read there is no real consitancy with how much to add or how to 'process' it before hand. I will just be doing a gallon batch as a trial and am using a Hefeweissen with NZ Hallertau as the base. Was hoping to add a tart/souness. No worry if the colour doesnt come through. Something refreshing.

The other thing is when to add the rhubarb. I have the hefe on the go now and it has been 4 days (OG 1048/SG 1027). Am fermenting on the low side aiming for less banana and more clove. I was going to rack on to the fruit in a demijohn and am really wondering at what point to do this. At 1020, 1015 or less? I doubt it will go lower then 1008 due to my mash.

I was lucky enough to try the or a version of Rhubarb Beer at the HBG meeting tonight.

Very nice indeed!

been thinking about throwing some fruit through a beer, ive got a hold of some honey murcott mandarins maybe threw a ginger beer? on maybe a a saison yeast just to accentuate the murcott twanginness?

[quote name='O'Henry' post='543634' date='Oct 27 2009, 09:55 PM']The other thing is when to add the rhubarb. I have the hefe on the go now and it has been 4 days (OG 1048/SG 1027). Am fermenting on the low side aiming for less banana and more clove. I was going to rack on to the fruit in a demijohn and am really wondering at what point to do this. At 1020, 1015 or less? I doubt it will go lower then 1008 due to my mash.[/quote]

Hey O'Henry. I gave you all the info at the Paddy's Brewers Festival the other week.
Like Jazzafish says in a later post, I have a new version that takes it up another notch again, and it is damn tasty. Although this drunken rhubarb I'm having for breaky is very tasty too.

Doc

Hey O'Henry. I gave you all the info at the Paddy's Brewers Festival the other week.
Like Jazzafish says in a later post, I have a new version that takes it up another notch again, and it is damn tasty. Although this drunken rhubarb I'm having for breaky is very tasty too.

Doc
Enjoyed it last night Doc. A nice tart feel to it. Too bad I was driving, as a full glass would've gone down beautifully.

One of our guys did a Rhubarb brew for our annual dinner this July gone - the raw rhubarb was added to the mash and the fermentor from memory... but the flavour didn't really come through for me over the slightly vegetal notes. I would be inclined to stew the rhubarb at a moderate temperature and then strain off the liquid and pitch that in...

Andy

Checkout this blog entry of mine for some background info.
I'm up to version 5 of this beer, and don't plan on making any further changes to it.
The changes since that blog entry are to:
- when stewing down the rhubarb, add water to half the volume of the rhubarb in the pot
- stew with the lid on to keep the liquid in the pot. You need this to get the colour in the beer
- I've up'ed the amount of rhubarb to 1.25kg for a standard 19-20 litre batch.

And my latest was with the S-33 (SAF Ale) yeast.

There is a piccy of it just before I kegged it here
You get more colour showing in a glass that holds more volume.

Beers,
Doc

Cheers Doc - nice to see my thinking was on the right track...

Andy

Latest posts

Back