Rhubarb Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
The following is from my blog entry in April.

Yep, you read the title correctly. Rhubarb.
My olds had a massive rhubarb plant/bush/tree when I was growing up. Used to have it for breakfast.
Love the sourness which is probably also why I love sauerkraut, salt, frozen margaritas.........

Anyway, I took the kids to the plant nursery today to pick out some plants to make a little vege garden for them. Got all the usual suspects like Lettuce, Carrots etc, and then I spied Rhubarb. Had to have it.

Got home, showed them how to make a garden, planted all the seeds, then got thinking about the rhubarb.
I wonder if rhubarb could be combined with beer ? Logical thought for a brewer isn't it ?

Well I'll be damned. There is even a commercial Rhubarb beer.
Ruddles make one
of someone drinking it.
mmmmm, still tempted ? Of course.

I wonder if someone has done it on a home brewing scale ? Yep
I wonder if it was any good ? Can't have been too bad

Well that is two. Any others ?

From the BeerAdvocate forum

email JavaJoe
Providence, Rhode Island
Posted: Jun 27, 2007 - 12:36:53 UTC (10 months ago)

I just finished transferring my second batch of "Rhu-Brew" into secondary last night. I'm a big fan of the stuff--a Belgian wheat/wit serves as the base, lightly hopped with hallertau and styrian goldings. The trick is putting the juice of 2-3 lbs of rhubarb (cooked down, thinned with about a quart of water, and then strained through cheesecloth) in at secondary. It produces a delightfully tart, refreshing summer brew, and helps clear up the back-yard rhubarb patch.

So, if i'm lucky enough that the single rhubarb plant doesn't die (or get eaten by the rabbits roaming our neighbourhood), I'm thinking a rhubarb weizen/wit/berliner weize will be my next experiment.

I can see the colour and taste it already.

Doc

Last edited by a moderator:
So fast forward to today.
I kegged the inaugural rhubarb beer.

I added the rhubarb when the beer had pretty much finished fermenting.
I cooked up 800gr of rhubarb let it chill overnight in the fridge and added it straight to the primary.

I expected it to add more colour (even some colour), but it doesn't appear to have.
If I do it again I'll make sure there is more liquid in the rhubarb mix that I add to the fermenter.

As for the taste, there is an awesome tart/sourness that isn't over powering, and is slightly addictive. Very similar to a Berlinerwiess. Yum.
Waiting for the keg to chill and carbonate :p

Attached are the pictures of the fermenter after kegging the beer.

Doc

Rubarbaweiss_001.jpg

Rubarbaweiss_005.jpg

What was the recipe Doc?

I like your thinking about the Berliner Weisse possibilities. You could always fake the colour...

Mate,

Thats awesome. I have no reservations about weird beer after drink a beetroot beer from both Quintrex and Spillsmostofit.

I'm 100% sure that a rhubarb beer could be great - definitely let us know how it comes out once cold and fizzy

Thirsty

A couple of weeks ago I was given a stubby of what was called Rhubarb Champagne by its maker. No added yeast, so the something that made it bubbly must have come from within. It was very drinkable and my new garden has lots rhubarb in it...

If you're boiling your rhubarb beforehand, it won't interest you at all, I guess.

Doc,
By using the rhubarb, does this lead to an increase in fermentable sugars and hence more alcohol?
Effects on OG and FG?
Keen to hear your expansion on the above - it sounds like something I would also be interested in brewing at some stage...
Cheers!

DOC

As a potential rhubarb dealer i put a few extra rhubarb plants in the garden for you this week. Seems the kids have discovered they like rhubarb Jam. Its growing like crazy down here; the new plants are little'ns, but by the current plant that is just a matter of days, not months.

Remember also on the colour, the yeast can take up to 25% colour out of beer and flavour, hence why alot of belgian brewers have switched to inline additions of fruit extract.

Scotty

If you're boiling your rhubarb beforehand, it won't interest you at all, I guess.

Yeah, I boiled it down before adding to the fermenter.

Doc,
By using the rhubarb, does this lead to an increase in fermentable sugars and hence more alcohol?
Effects on OG and FG?
Keen to hear your expansion on the above - it sounds like something I would also be interested in brewing at some stage...
Cheers!

Not really sure. I added the Rhubarb at 1.013 and the FG was 1.009
There wasn't enough liquid in the cooked down rhubarb to do a gravity reading. But I guess that would have been the gravity of the liquid not the mass.
Interesting thought.

Remember also on the colour, the yeast can take up to 25% colour out of beer and flavour, hence why alot of belgian brewers have switched to inline additions of fruit extract.

Will definitely put a drop of red colouring in a glass for effect.
Not sure if Rhubarb extract is available though.

Doc

Was thinking about faking the colour too with a little Red Food Colouring :p

Beers,
Doc

Looks like an addition of a bit of grain for color next time. Ruby Red Rhubarb, I claim the name, ha.

So fast forward to today.
I kegged the inaugural rhubarb beer.

I added the rhubarb when the beer had pretty much finished fermenting.
I cooked up 800gr of rhubarb let it chill overnight in the fridge and added it straight to the primary.

I expected it to add more colour (even some colour), but it doesn't appear to have.
If I do it again I'll make sure there is more liquid in the rhubarb mix that I add to the fermenter.

Doc
Doc for colour I would have added the rhubarb to the boil (probably like a late edition hop), the bitterness would be balanced nicely by low hop levels and malt.

I am looking forward for the tasting notes.
Ate a lot of Rhubarb raw in summer School holidays in Finland.
My Aunty made the best Rhubarb soup.
The texture is certainly special.

Matti

DOC

As a potential rhubarb dealer i put a few extra rhubarb plants in the garden for you this week. Seems the kids have discovered they like rhubarb Jam. Its growing like crazy down here; the new plants are little'ns, but by the current plant that is just a matter of days, not months.

Scotty

Scotty,

Sort of inline with the Rhubarb idea - but extending a little. What do you think of using Jams/Marmalades as a flavour adjunct and fermentables source in beers? I have been considering just adding a portion of a jar of say rhubabr, or strawberry/plum/blackberry jam to the end of primary or into secondary. Figure you would get an OG boost and a whack of quite concentrated fruit flavour - all pre-boiled and sanitised in the jam making process.

What do people think? would a jar of jam work and save a lot of boiling and mucking about with fruit additions?

TB

Scotty,

Sort of inline with the Rhubarb idea - but extending a little. What do you think of using Jams/Marmalades as a flavour adjunct and fermentables source in beers? I have been considering just adding a portion of a jar of say rhubabr, or strawberry/plum/blackberry jam to the end of primary or into secondary. Figure you would get an OG boost and a whack of quite concentrated fruit flavour - all pre-boiled and sanitised in the jam making process.

What do people think? would a jar of jam work and save a lot of boiling and mucking about with fruit additions?

TB

All I would worry about are preservatives and pectin. The first is easy to look for on the label, the second fixed with enzyme or just live with a bit of haze in the beer.

Scotty

The pH difference between the fruit and the beer can also alter the colour a little.

Scotty,

TB

I've never tried it myself but Grumpy's Hoegaarden kit called for a jar of marmalade if dried peel was too difficult, and it was a very popular recipe.

Ive been thinking about this with a cranberry wheat ill be making for the chrismas period. Should i go with the frozen cranberries, reconstituted dried cranberries or cranberry sauce/jam?!? Decisions decisions! Will be good with some turkey!

Tucked into a few pints of this last night.
There is a hint of colour, but you have to look for it.
There is mild tartness there, and it is very drinkable.
I added a little food colouring to give it some more colour but over did it a little. Kept topping up the pint glass (after leaving just ~75mls) in the bottom each time and by about the third pint the colour was perfect :p
Planted some more rhubarb today (possums got the last plant), so fingers crossed I have a more ready supply in a couple of months.

Doc

My rhubarb experiments have come of age.

This Saturday I'll be brewing my Doc's Belgian Breakfast Blonde with the brewers (Keith and Craig) at the Potters/Hunter Beer Co.
It is going to be their Spring Seasonal Release.

Stop by if you are in the area.

Beers,
Doc

Damn Doc, 1 beer at the Taphouse and 1 at Potters, what's next?
Well done!! :super:

Latest posts

Back