Reviving An Old Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have 6 of these kegs, the valves in the posts only need to have a silicon seal replaced as the rest of it is stainless. Both posts have a sealing washer under the post and the dip tube side has a rubbery ferrule around it as it passes through the fitting on the to of the tank. The safety valve only needs to have an o-ring replaced when serviced. The posts are not as common as the Cornelius type and are more expensive, but the service parts are still available and cheap. The kegs are well made and are worth keeping. Also, for an alternative for the relief valve see the thread by Brunk (couldn't copy the link).
Dave.

Hey Dblunn, Do you remove the silicone washer regularly when cleaning your kegs, or just leave it in and screw off the posts? I'm used to the standard corny kegs and generally break them down for a good clean/sanitise every few brews. My new seals haven't arrived just yet, but just going off the old ones they don't seem like a part you'd want to remove all to often.

Seals arrived in post this arvo, the replacement polyurethane washers are a fair bit smaller than the originals and look like they will pop in and out without trouble.

I flush them out every brew but I only strip them down once a year or so. I flush them with cleaner, rinse them and let them drain until they are needed again. I then flush them with sanitiser before filling.
Dave.

Just a quickie???

Do we all just buy whatever keg seal kits from where-ever? Are they marked food safe?

I've bought the odd keg seal kit in the past and never thought about it, i've also never thought about my grand access to many many o-ring seals as part of my occupation. As far as my training recalls, there is only 1-3 different types of o-ring rubber they use, 1 is no good at high temps, the others are very versatile?

Basically, Do you know for sure your seals in your kegs are food safe, or something out of an auto-motive stone in Tokyo. Does it matter at cold temps?

shaunous said:
Just a quickie???

Do we all just buy whatever keg seal kits from where-ever? Are they marked food safe?

I've bought the odd keg seal kit in the past and never thought about it, i've also never thought about my grand access to many many o-ring seals as part of my occupation. As far as my training recalls, there is only 1-3 different types of o-ring rubber they use, 1 is no good at high temps, the others are very versatile?

Basically, Do you know for sure your seals in your kegs are food safe, or something out of an auto-motive stone in Tokyo. Does it matter at cold temps?
The one type that is no good at high temps is the Viton o-ring (PFTE) it become a very nasty poisonous stuff. But, we are talking red heat (oxy torch type heat) so not a problem at normal temps. Food-safe comes from the materials used in it's manufacture, not from a lawyer's blessing. I believe all O-rings and seals sold for use in kegs will be fine.
Dave

Cheers Dave, but i was more leading to the O-rings in kits you'd find at Auto stores like Repco, Supercheap, etc. I have good access to lots of them, so i'll give them a whirl anyway.

shaunous said:
Cheers Dave, but i was more leading to the O-rings in kits you'd find at Auto stores like Repco, Supercheap, etc. I have good access to lots of them, so i'll give them a whirl anyway.
I've used O-rings from a cheap kit without any problems so I think you will be fine.
Regards, Dave

Back