Reusing Yeast With Hops.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverfj1200

Reaction score
I have just reused the yeast slurry from my last brew a s-23 which has used cluster hops in it from the last brew, The new brew has Hellertau. If I reuse the slurry again (fires a cold brew up in 12 hours) on my next brew. will all the old hop bits start to affect the brew.

Or are they all used up the first time..

Cheers..

Hi Roverfj1200,
I hope someone has the answer to your question as what you have done is almost the same as my latest 50 ltr brew.
Slightly different as I boiled the yeast slurry from my last brew.
Theory being boiling the yeast slurry kills the yeast and breaks it down making a yeast starter... Not sure if thats right ot not?
I then added 4kgs of liquid light malt, a 3kg draught kit to the boil.
Put it all in the fermenter added a hops teabag and water to 50 litres.

Measured at 1070

Added safale04 yeast at 22 degrees and it was fermenting away within 4 hours.

I'm figuring theres plenty of goodness left in the yeast slurry?

Theory being boiling the yeast slurry kills the yeast and breaks it down making a yeast starter... Not sure if thats right ot not?

Wow, I would have thought that would kill the yeast. But if it's fermenting, that really is a surprise. You sure you didnt add any fresh yeast to that ?

Wow, I would have thought that would kill the yeast. But if it's fermenting, that really is a surprise. You sure you didnt add any fresh yeast to that ?

I think Yeast Nutrient was what was ment. They did pitch new yeast.

Yeast slurry is fine to make new beer with. In my experience, if there is hop debris in there, it's really been stripped of anything that'll affect your beer, and it'll fall into your yeast cake pretty quickly anyway.

Hi Gunbrew I think that boiling the slurry would render it useless.. Killing of the yeast in the slurry would seem to be against what you are trying to do. I don't see that it would help to kick start your brew but if it works hay do it.

I pitch the slurry onto the new brew from a jug I hold the slurry in while cleaning the fermenter and preparing the brew. I add ice to cool the wort to under 20deg pitch the slurry with the old hops in it. Off to the fermenting fridge at 12deg.

As I said the hops go into the wort each time so if I reuse the slurry next time it will have two old hop additions in it.

Cheers

So if that bothers you (I dont think it should, personally) in future, when you are using a fresh yeast for the first time, reserve that first batch's slurry into five containers and store in the fridge for future use, so each subsequent brew will only be using first generation trub.

I have successfully pitched as little as 150ml and it's fine. So you really can stretch it out if you wish to.

Hi Gunbrew I think that boiling the slurry would render it useless..

Off to the fermenting fridge at 12deg.

Cheers

Somewhere along the line I was given the idea that if you boil up yeast, killing it and breaking it down means that you have made something that will be useable by your new yeast.
Again not sure if that is a valid theory, anyone know?

Have previously used the slurry in the same way you are using it and found that it worked well.
Seemed to me I had a particularly good 2 brews using that same yeast Wanted to re use it for a 3rd brew, as your latest brew, though was concerned and threw it out.

Also w1th you brew fermenting at 12 degrees how long does that take?
I always keep mine around 20 to 22 degrees and it's usually all done in 2 weeks.

Also w1th you brew fermenting at 12 degrees how long does that take?
I always keep mine around 20 to 22 degrees and it's usually all done in 2 weeks.

Gunbrew

I'm using saflager s-23 best at around 12deg I see you pitched safale us-o4 its best at 18-20deg.

My brews ferment out in 2 to 3 weeks I lift them to 18deg for 2 days then chill to 1 or 2 deg for a week and bottle.

I think you are right there gunbrew i have read a lot of things to back this up.
Actualy one i read said that once you boil you wort pitch the yeast from the tin (if you have fresh yeast from LHBS) as the boling water will kill the yeast breaking it down to provide food for the new yeast, as yeast starts to eat them selvs after there is no sugar left (what im led to beleive) corect me if im wrong?? :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back