Reusing Yeast Sludge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wqijno

Reaction score
I've just finished a batch of lager with W34/70 yeast. I want to start a new brew in a couple of days so I just sterilised a drinking glass, scooped up a large amount of sludge from the bottom and sealed it up with some cling wrap. Is this ok to refrigerate for a couple of days and then just chuck it into my next brew?

Short answer is yes you can, rinsed yeast slurry is better though and using M Malty to get a better idea of pitching rates required and yeast viability is better again. it also has a function for "non Yeast Percentage" have a tinker withit.. a valuable tool.

There are people who swear by just pitching onto a whole yeast cake but I have never done this.. I prefer to rinse the yeast as per This Topic On Rinsing Yeast.

many different ways that people are happy with, personally I like to rinse the crap out of it and pitch only clean yeast.

:icon_cheers:

Yes, absoluteley. Go for it.
As long as you're even reasonably careful with sanitation it will work fine.

You can always refine the process (as suggested above) after you get comfortable with it.

Re-using slurry, no problem. Even if I am to be using it in a few days I will bottle and cap it though either in a schott bottle (thanks yet again Ralf) or in a stubby or coopers bottle. When its time to use it I just dump a whole stubby in the new brew. Yes you can and probably should use Mr Malty... but I never have, so long as you don't use to little yeast and you keep the temp under control if you pitch a large amount of yeast.
As usual Sanitation is the key.

Cheers
Gavo.

You can always refine the process (as suggested above) after you get comfortable with it.

It should be said that there are alot of variables... like...

what is the gravity of the intended brew and previous brew?

how much of that slurry is actually good healthy yeast and not hops or dead yeast cells?

What is the viability of the stored yeast? (as taken from the harvest date)

Personally I feel its better to have an understanding of what you are trying to achieve and dial in from there rather with rough 'goals' rather than the 'hitting the side of a barn' approach as in iether under or overpitching with a "she'll be right"..

If I need 75ml of clean rinsed yeast slurry or 150ml of mixed yeast/trubthen this is what I aim for already knowing the variables. ie viability and expexted OG of next wort.

if you have a bit of time up youe sleeve have a listen to (BN) Yeast Washing or my favorite (BN) Repitching Yeast which are both great listnes and time well spent.

Yob

Back