Reschs pilsner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Hey all,
Sorry for being absent for so long. I have now relocated and set up the brewery again. I know fella I would like to repay a few favours too. He is a fella that loves reschs. I would like to repay his favours with some homebrew similar style. Having never been a bloke that drank any, help for an all grain recipe would be great.

Cheers,
Beamer

Back in the day, talking late 70's early 80's, the old silver bullet was a pretty good drop. Unfortunately the brewery got wiped out by a fairly obscure infection that they couldn't control. The product bearing the same name now isn't really a patch on the original.
The Resch brothers started out making a very faithful German Pilsner with a bit of Hallertau Mittlefruh in the tail.
If I was looking to make something similar I would go with something like
95% German Pilsner Malt - I would choose the Weyermann Premium Pilsner
5% Carrapillis/Carrafoam - Again the Weyermann
Mash a little on the cooler side if you aren't step mashing, go for a fairly highly attenuative wort.
Target an OG of around 12.5oP or 1.050
Use a very soft water, especially avoid Sulphate.
Bitter to 30-35 IBU with a good German noble hop - Probably use Hallertau Mittlefruh throughout, A good German grown duel purpose hop like Perl, Magnum or Northern Brewer could work and save a few dollars.
Late kettle hop with a bit more Mittlefruh - Just go fairly easy say 0.5g/L max
Use a lot of a good Lager yeast and ferment cool 8-10oC - Saf 34/70 would do if you wanted a dry yeast
Then Lager, Lager, Lager… at least 3-4 weeks at -1oC at a minimum.
If you are bottle conditioning, I would think seriously of adding a bit of re-hydrated yeast and bulk priming, there is a very good chance that a long and hard enough Lager to do the job properly would drop out all your primary yeast.
Bringing back some very fond memories.
Mark

Back in the day, talking late 70's early 80's, the old silver bullet was a pretty good drop. Unfortunately the brewery got wiped out by a fairly obscure infection that they couldn't control. The product bearing the same name now isn't really a patch on the original.
The Resch brothers started out making a very faithful German Pilsner with a bit of Hallertau Mittlefruh in the tail.
If I was looking to make something similar I would go with something like
95% German Pilsner Malt - I would choose the Weyermann Premium Pilsner
5% Carrapillis/Carrafoam - Again the Weyermann
Mash a little on the cooler side if you aren't step mashing, go for a fairly highly attenuative wort.
Target an OG of around 12.5oP or 1.050
Use a very soft water, especially avoid Sulphate.
Bitter to 30-35 IBU with a good German noble hop - Probably use Hallertau Mittlefruh throughout, A good German grown duel purpose hop like Perl, Magnum or Northern Brewer could work and save a few dollars.
Late kettle hop with a bit more Mittlefruh - Just go fairly easy say 0.5g/L max
Use a lot of a good Lager yeast and ferment cool 8-10oC - Saf 34/70 would do if you wanted a dry yeast
Then Lager, Lager, Lager… at least 3-4 weeks at -1oC at a minimum.
If you are bottle conditioning, I would think seriously of adding a bit of re-hydrated yeast and bulk priming, there is a very good chance that a long and hard enough Lager to do the job properly would drop out all your primary yeast.
Bringing back some very fond memories.
Mark

Thanks Mark,

Sounds like a great recipe, really looking forward to giving this a go. Thanks for tips too on soft water and rehydrated yeast. I never heard of that technique before. One question on that though. Does it matter what yeast is used for adding to priming mixture if it is only to help carbonate the beer?

Heard many people speak of the silver bullet and all good things, shame I wasn't round to try it. Thanks for the history on the brewery too, will keep that one up my sleeve.

Edit: did some research

Last edited:
The priming yeast (often called bottling yeast) is usually chosen for it high flocculation and low flavour contribution.
Its a pretty common practice in commercial brewing, I think the early versions of Little Creatures were a Lagered Ale, then bottle conditioned with a separate yeast. I know a couple of famous Abbey beers are treated this way - to keep their yeast in house.
Strange as it may sound to a lot of Aussie home brewers 514 is a cracker (yep the cheap one sold under kit lids), there are some specialty bottling yeast like CBC-1 but I'd use 514 or S-04
Mark

Hey all,
Sorry for being absent for so long. I have now relocated and set up the brewery again. I know fella I would like to repay a few favours too. He is a fella that loves reschs. I would like to repay his favours with some homebrew similar style. Having never been a bloke that drank any, help for an all grain recipe would be great.

Cheers,
Beamer

Just seen this I have a 1917 Resch's Pilsner in my book 6 O'Clock Brews https://prstemp.wixsite.com/tritun-books
Cheers
Peter

Latest posts

Back