Removing Beerstone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing Techniques recommend 40 min at 60-70 C, with a 2.5% solution. If no one disagrees I will try this on the weekend.

Darren, how effective will napisan be, I didnt know it got stronger if you heated it.

Doc, I had the same question a few weeks ago. Several people had suggestions. Napisan didn't work for me at all though my stains were old. I had nothing else on hand that people suggested so I tried Citric Acid which I had been using to adjust pH.

I just sprinkled the bottom of the pot and then wet it. A simple wipe with a scourer and the kettle was seriously brand new within a minute.

Still haven't worked out how to get gas marks off the underneath of the kettle though. The citric acid gets it so it won't stain anything but that's all.

Cheers
Pat

I'm with Pat, use citric - I've also found Napisan is a waste of time on beerstone :ph34r: ...

cheers Ross...

Brewing Techniques recommend 40 min at 60-70 C, with a 2.5% solution.

This worked ok but still needed a wipe afterwards to remove the beer stone and it did turn all of the brass and copper a dark brown <_< Next time I will be trying citric acid.

Latest posts

Back