Refilling Soda Stream @ home

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm planning on buying a setup that allows you to fill the sodastream bottles from a larger bottle, like my 6kg bottle.
It's not exactly cheap though, at about $100 plus shipping from the US.
But in the long run it'll work out cheaper.

Here's the gadget...
http://co2doctor.com/fillstationproIIspec.htm

Webpage says it can be ordered to fit Australian CO2 bottles.

It's says you need a CO2 bottle that is the "siphon" style, which has a dip tube, I think.
Anyone know if our bottles are like that?

Here's a video of how it works..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uf0j3eJ7TrM&list=FLG0SAxAdaGZjpZYS7kZz_Gw&index=1

Thunderlips said:
<<snip>>

It's says you need a CO2 bottle that is the "siphon" style, which has a dip tube, I think.
Anyone know if our bottles are like that?

<<snip>>
CO2 beer gas do not have a dip tube to get liquid out. But all you need to do is turn the bottle upside down, and you will get liquid CO2 out.
CO2 fire extinguishers have a dip tube to get the liquid out. Easy for refilling other bottles, but if you want to use it for beer gas you need to mount it upside down.

QldKev said:
CO2 fire extinguishers have a dip tube to get the liquid out. Easy for refilling other bottles, but if you want to use it for beer gas you need to mount it upside down.
you don't really NEED to mount them upside down
I've always had mine right way up and have never had a problem with liquid CO2 coming through even when force carbing at 300kpa

try engineering shops for dry ice they use it to shrink shafts to install bearings theres one a coorparoo that sells it for around $5 p/kg

I have a fire extinguisher that fits the bill, it's been in the shed gathering some dust, thanks for the tip, this will save some real dough for the TA setup

Tex083 said:
After sobering up and reading what some people have read, I might just stick with the swap over cylinders @ Kmart.
Im sure its no more dangerous than playing with 240V PID's but im just going to pay the $20 for a cylinder.

Mykegonlegs 2.3kg bottle is $240. So 240/20 = 12 so in 12 kegs it will equal 1 C02 cylinder cost....
Playing with 240 v pids is not dangerous at all. Especially if you use common sense and your house wiring is protected by RCD,s.

So I would say filling your cylinder with dry ice is a lot more dangerous.

You can rent liquid draw co2 bottles from most gas suppliers eg BOC, supagas etc.

QldKev said:
CO2 beer gas do not have a dip tube to get liquid out. But all you need to do is turn the bottle upside down, and you will get liquid CO2 out.
Finding someone in my area that refills fire extinguishers, especially with food grade CO2, might be a bit of a mission.
You upside down trick sounds like the go.

Thanks for the tip.

Black n Tan said:
I have this CO2 refill system ($130) and decant from my large Co2 bottle by turning upside down.
I would have snapped that up but the site says out of stock so I emailed them and the reply was that it is discontinued :(

The liquid Co2 bottles have some large black blocks (vertical stripes) around the bottle towards the top at BOC. As siad you can do the same thing by tipping the bottle upside down.

Edit; these are not food grade if that matters to anyone.

Sorry to resurrect a bit....
Did you order from co2 doctor Thunderlips?? Im thinking of getting one myself. turns out my sodastream bottles are the old non-boobytrapped ones so thats a win! I was just going to decant from my mykegsonlegs cylinder by turning it upside down. can anyone see any issues with that?

Makes me nervous, but I could be easily frightened.

I would have thought you would fill by weight so how would you do that if it is screwed directly to the bottle like it is?
i would pretty confidently state that that adapter would have the US soda stream thread on it ( the US soda stream bottles have a more coarse thread compared to AU). its likely got the CGA thread on the fill cylinder end rather than type 30 as well.

other than that i wouldn't be to concerned about the fittings quality, these threads/fittings tend to be pretty well over engineered.

I'm thinking of one of these, not exactly cheap but looks well made and simple to use after watching the video?

https://www.co2-adapter.com/product/co2-adapter-pro-2-plus-aus/
keep in mind the later generation pin valves ( the ones with the flat rather than the knob) are tamper proof and don,t support filling. the seat tends to back seat and doesnt let the bottle fill.

personally i replaced the whole valve assembly with a m18 threaded paintball valve, https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pr...-2200psi-Output-M18-1/500295_32765871656.html

than fill via the quick disconnect port on the side. also has an intermediate drop down reg to 800kpa

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back