Recomendations On First Keg Setup

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowhunterslodge

Reaction score
Ok,hi guys first post,been doing the norm reading etc.wealth of info,thankyou in advance :icon_cheers:
done a heap of bottling years back and i have started again,then ive woken up and had enough of bottles.

this is where i am at..
ive got my self a couple of fridges; one ill turn into a kegerator [this fridge had its therm adjusted /changed so it can go below zero]

DSC00445.JPG

ive another fridge which i am going to use for the fermenter to control temp up here in cairns.[will purchase one of those temp controllers]

DSC00446.JPG
picked up a 6 kg co2 and a couple kegs and some line/tap kit,already had two brews ready to go into the kegs.

the questions i have so far are;
1. I plan to make a few stouts/killkenny style beers,but also like a draught etc, Do i need different taps to pour the stouts /killkennys ?
2.would you recommend flow control taps? eg;perlick flow control taps
3. if not, what taps would most recommend?

manifolds?
I plan to have the gas bottle outside the kegerator,and i reckon i should be able to have 4 kegs inside. at least 2 or 3 for beer,and 1 for soda.
4.i see some use manifolds or what are your thoughts on John Guest attachments?

top fridge
5. ref the top fridge/keg fridge,do you blokes reckon be safe to drill through side to place gas inlet hose as it has the cooling system at rear of fridge?

I ve two kegs gassing at the moment,done a bit of the Ross technique,been in for a few days,chilled at around 3 degrees, my next mission will be balancing,after i fit the one tap i have at the moment,swing side to side version[not sure of correct name]
please advise me if i have posted in wrong section, i do welcome any help/advise and who you blokes recommend purschasing from and i hope in the futrue i can share and contribute.
thankyou pat. :icon_cheers: .

Welcome to AHB bowhunterslodge. i find the perlick 525 hard to fault. and for lesser amount of money - bronco taps. the kilkenny versions will work fine on these taps as long as your not talking proper imitation (going nitro).

btw, the frigde evaporator is at the rear but where is the condensors. does the sides of the fridge get warm when its running? or is there a bunch of pipes hanging off the back?

btw, the frigde evaporator is at the rear but where is the condensors. does the sides of the fridge get warm when its running? or is there a bunch of pipes hanging off the back?

ill check on the fridge..its hard to concerntrate with your pic..lol

been finding more and more good reports on the taps,,
thankyou be in touch
cheers
pat

I'd recommend the 545 Perlick flow controls.

Solid Manifolds are nice

John guest fittings are great but barbs are cheaper and you never need to worry about leaks appearing

If you're serious about your stouts, Irish ales etc, get a nitro tap and a cylinder of 70/30 nitro/C2 mix. I got my nitro tap from the US (Perlick I think) and my local home brew shop can fill a D cylinder of 70/30 for $50. Uses a standard reg also.

Best investment to the brewery for a while! Just chill the ungassed keg, 20 - 30sec @ 200kpa Ross method, a couple of hours on the nitro and you're ready to go.

You can't beat a good red/stout on nitro. I've even just put a landlord on, first impressions seem great. :beerbang:

If you're serious about your stouts, Irish ales etc, get a nitro tap and a cylinder of 70/30 nitro/C2 mix. I got my nitro tap from the US (Perlick I think) and my local home brew shop can fill a D cylinder of 70/30 for $50. Uses a standard reg also.

Best investment to the brewery for a while! Just chill the ungassed keg, 20 - 30sec @ 200kpa Ross method, a couple of hours on the nitro and you're ready to go.

You can't beat a good red/stout on nitro. I've even just put a landlord on, first impressions seem great. :beerbang:

Got 4 days off Gibbo with this weather I might drop down :chug:

gibbo 1 cheers for that,ill look into it,i remember reading about the nitro gas

thanks again
pat

Hi Pat,

Looks like the makings of a great setup there!!
Pretty similar to my system I think...there's some pics attached.

Perlicks...
I have 2 of the 525SS (not flow control) which are a great good quality tap (and low maintenance).
Have heard good things about the flow control ones too.

JG fittings...
Awesome, but expensive.
I have all barbed fittings on my gas lines (reg, manifold & disconnects).
On the liquid side, I have all JG fittings.
They never leak and make it easy to disassemble for cleaning.
Also, when you are balancing your system, it's really easy to just snip some length off your beer lines to get a perfect pour.

Drilling the fridge...
I was worried about this too.
Drilled a small hole through the outer first and had a bit of a poke around before drilling all the way through.

Good luck with it all, be prepared to drink a lot more now that you have beer on tap.
I find my mates come and visit me more often now too :beer: .
Be carefull with the Ross method, I overcarbed a few kegs using this method.
And it's a PITA trying to get it back down to correct carbonation levels.
Quick though...each to their own.

Cheers.

_DSC0277_1.jpg

_DSC0289_1.jpg

_DSC0680.JPG

Looks very similar to my set up:
4C0D6B77-213F-4263-AB76-FF75191F8ABE-817-000000F6A9E778EB.jpg

I've got Celli FC taps, and extra awesome for stout and porter - they've got a creamer action on the back pour that'll shoot a nice thick creamy head on top of your stout.

My gas line goes through a hole in the seal, rather than the door, as I didn't wanna drill through a gas line.

Good luck!

Food for thought:

Swap the purpose of those fridges around. The all fridge will enable you to ferment two beers at once, and the fridge freezer will be sufficient for the kegerator (and you can keep your glasses in the freezer section; ideal for Cairns climate). Cairns heat and thirsty mates will mean keeping supply up will be a priority.

:icon_cheers:

I like your signature,i can see that happening for sure..

well thought i d try my first one,its just a can job, i see someone refer to them as Goop????
anyways an Irish stout,have my reg at 80kpa and haven't even drill holes for my taps yet,so it was just a free pour..

it looked a bit frothy,but it cascaded nicely? [ saw that terminology somewhere,lol]
anyways tastes alright.

DSC00448.JPG
DSC00449.JPG

so next mission is to mount the one tap i have,but I will order some control flows plus a nitro.
i ve worked out i can comfortably fit 4 kegs in the kegerator once i re position the co2 bottle outside.
look out for a couple more kegs,a manifold and order some john guest fittings etc..

really enjoying this
icon_cheers.gif

Back