Recipe For Melanoidin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewerbrian

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest an AG recipe using Melanoidin grain. Have got 2kg lying there and would like to use it all up :rolleyes: before it walks away.

I accidentally mashed 3+kg of melanodin before i labelled my grain.....

Discovered my mistake prior to the boil so tipped it out. Prob should have follwed thur and fermented it but didnt have the bollocks for it.

Ive read of some people adding up to 20% in a dunkel instead of decocting.

I personally keep it below 10%.

A dunkel or an Alt?

Perhaps a bock. It is supposed to give the character that a decoction gives. I'm not an expert on decoctions or melanoidin so can't comment on if it does work. Anything you want that really rich Munich like malt flavour in really.

I have used it in a fair few beers. Last two I think were a Dunkelweizen and a Schwarzbier

Have a look at the Weyermann notes here

Thanks for all you suggestions I've got the answer - Use a little but often!!

Find it goes well in a pils at 3%, the rest of the grist just Galaxy or some pils malt.

C&B
TDA

I've used it at varying degrees in my pilsners starting at around 3% like TDA has but find it still a tad dominating so I'm currently using only 1.5% and like the results.

I've used it at varying degrees in my pilsners starting at around 3% like TDA has but find it still a tad dominating so I'm currently using only 1.5% and like the results.

I use 3% because my base is usually Galaxy so that need a bit of oomph in the maltiness plus using higher alpha kiwi hops and need to be reasonably balanced.

Are using Czech Saaz all the way through devo?

C&B
TDA

I use 3% because my base is usually Galaxy so that need a bit of oomph in the maltiness plus using higher alpha kiwi hops and need to be reasonably balanced.

Are using Czech Saaz all the way through devo?

C&B
TDA

The last pils was all czech saaz plugs which turned out great. I have done a straight weyermann pilsner malt with 3% Melanoidin and NZ southern cross flowers which balanced out OK but I've been cutting it(mel) back ever since. Still one of my fav secondary malts for lagers in general.

I have done a triple decoct and gotta say it was a lot of work. Bought some melanoiden recently but haven't used it yet.
I have an English ale recipe to try it on, should be interesting.

Back