Recipe Advice - Dunkel

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mje1980

Old Thunder brewery
Reaction score
I am expecting to pick up some pils malt soon, and after brewing an ofest, im hoping to throw a dunkel on the yeast cake. What do people think of this??

Munich 40% 2kg
Pils 40% 2kg
Caramunich 1 10% .5kg
Melanoiden 10% .5kg

20 IBU ( 1 60 min addition of hall mittlefruh )

Colour 14 SRM

833 Bock lager yeast.

A few questions for you blokes..

1.) I am after a big malty flavour, hence the large amount of melanoiden, is it too much??

2.) The last dunkel i made had 120g of carafa1, and 150 of cara aroma, and they were all i could taste!, not happy at all, no malt flavour, just roastiness, and bittersweet crystal flavour, thats why im going for caramunich, for more malt flavour, but mainly to get the colour right. Anyone see a problem with this flavourwise??

3.) I am also thinking of a 2 hour boil, to get some more melanoidens going, what do you blokes reckon??

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Here's one I made a few months ago that I really enjoyed. I was trying for a Munich Dunkel but I don't think I quite made it. There was a nice malt flavour but it wasn't very big. What's interesting is that I used about 20% Melanoidan malt :huh:

Next time I might try more Munich (Dark), or perhaps a better suited yeast such as the one you propose to really accentuate the malt profile.

Anyway, for what it's worth, here it is.

Batch Size: 20.00 L
Boil Size: 26.55 L
Estimated OG: 1.045 SG
Estimated Color: 16.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 30.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %

1.50 kg Hoepfner Vienna (4.1 SRM) Grain 36.1 %
1.00 kg Pilsner, Malt Craft Export (Joe White) (1.6 SRM) Grain 24.1 %
0.75 kg Hoepfner Melanoidin (19.8 SRM) Grain 18.1 %
0.50 kg Munich, Light (Joe White) (9.0 SRM) Grain 12.0 %
0.25 kg Wheat, Flaked (1.5 SRM) Grain 6.0 %
0.15 kg Chocolate Malt (350.3 SRM) Grain 3.6 %
40.00 gm Hallertauer [4.80%] (60 min) Hops 28.7 IBU
10.00 gm Hallertauer [4.80%] (15 min) Hops 1.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Bohemian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2124) Yeast-Lager

Trev

MJE1980, I would knock the Melanoidin down to 3 or 4% and up the pilsner to balance the OG. If you want more colour, add some roasted malt. Both Melanoidin and Munich malts tend to give a very fat flavour profile in an all malt beer so use sparingly! The Caramunich is quite high too at 10% but being Cara 1 should be OK. dont sub any other crystal malt for the Caramunich though.

Also have a look at the Weyermann website for some recipe clues.

Enjoy.

Wes

From that info, maybe i'll try 5% melanoiden, and another 5% vienna. Wessmith, i definately am after a big fat malty profile haha!. There is/was a dunkel on tap at the local german club, and oh my fu^&en god, what a top beer!. It had the best flavour i have ever tasted in beer! It was soooo malty, but so drinkable its not funny!. And i swear there were tiny hints of purple/maroon ( no im not drunk! ). Absolutely the best beer i have ever had in my life.

ANyway, i'll make those adjustments and hopefully the specs will still be o.k.

Thanks guys!

Charlie Papzian sent in a Dunkel to The Brewcasters a few shows back and they all raved over it (he sent in a couple of other beers too).
Charlie provided the recipe here.
It is on my todo list.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Charlie Papzian sent in a Dunkel to The Brewcasters a few shows back and they all raved over it (he sent in a couple of other beers too).
Charlie provided the recipe here.
It is on my todo list.

Beers,
Doc
[post="99973"][/post]​

Doc, or anyone

What's honey malt?
Also, can you suggest different hops, which are more readily available?

cheers...

Ross said:
Doc, or anyone

What's honey malt?

cheers...
[post="99977"][/post]​

Accoring to Wes in this topic German Melanoidin is a good substitute for Honey Malt.
Will have to do a bit more research on the hops, but one of the Brewcasters used all Hallertauer in his version of it.

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Ross said:
Doc, or anyone

What's honey malt?

cheers...
[post="99977"][/post]​

Accoring to Wes in this topic German Melanoidin is a good substitute for Honey Malt.
Will have to do a bit more research on the hops, but one of the Brewcasters used all Hallertauer in his version of it.

Beers,
Doc
[post="99979"][/post]​

Thanx Doc,

A good use for my NZ organic Hallertau maybe...

Ross.

FWIW Most Dunkels I've tried mainly in Munich (is there anywhere else? :beerbang: ) have had very little to basically bugger-all hop aroma. :ph34r:

Wouldn't do any worse than say a small addition 15 minutes from strikeout. Other than that it's boiling hops all the way. Anything German and low AAU will do. :rolleyes:

Warren -

Have you brewed it Ross ?
I'm looking to brew it this weekend.
What did you come up with ?

Beers,
Doc

Back