Re Yeasting For Priming A High Alco Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUB

Reaction score
We have a bit of a monster beer to bottle Sunday (9.25%) that has been cold conditioning for 2 weeks now. Our normal procedure is to re yeast with a dry yeast, however, we have never had to do it at such high alcohol levels before. Can the standard LHBS dry yeast handle these alcohol levels?

I have a big starter ready for another brew on the same day...should we just use some of that? If so, any idea how much or is it all guess work?

Cheers guys.

From what I have been lead to believe, most of the dried yeasts that you will find have an alcohol tolerance around the 11% mark. I know of some extremely experienced brewers that will use dried yeast to prime beers in the 10% and up arena, so 9.25% will be a piece of cake.
Good idea to re-yeast a big beer, just do what you normally do, and you will be fine.
T.

Or maybe a champagne dry yeast, which has even higher alcohol tolerance.

Can the standard LHBS dry yeast handle these alcohol levels?
Does the 'standard LHBS dry yeast' have a name?
For example Safale US-05 has an alcohol tolerance of about 10%, but Safbrew S33 is about 11.5%.

Does the 'standard LHBS dry yeast' have a name?
For example Safale US-05 has an alcohol tolerance of about 10%, but Safbrew S33 is about 11.5%.

It is a Safale yeast but not sure on the number. But by the looks of the % you gave, we should be sweet.

I did think about a champagne yeast but we have already grabbed our ingredients. I'll remember that for next time.

Thanks for the input.

Why would you put champagne yeast into beer? IMHO, it probably best belongs in champagne. It could be argued that it is a good yeast to put into a very high alcohol beer when it is still in the fermenter to help finish off, but in the bottle? I have never used it as a bottling yeast (as the highest alcohol beer I have done is 11%), but I would be very cautious about putting such an attenuative yeast into a beer that more than likely has an SG of 1.016-1.024 at bottling. Of course, I could be wrong. But unless you are over 12% alcohol, I would stick with using beer yeast.
T.
EDIT - Spelling

The most "Generic" yeast in Australia would be the good old Mauri Foods 514, its alcohol tolerant to 9.5%View attachment 39298
One of the best Bottling Yeasts is (in my opinion) is Saf S-33.View attachment SafbrewS_33.pdf
Trent knows what he is talking about an it's well worth paying attention to what he says
MHB

Ive had some success with US05 for a 13% beer that wouldnt carb.

cheers
Andrew.

Brilliant. All good ideas, thanks. Say no to Champagne as a primer, but yes to some of the Safale yeasts. Luckily the LHBS has these!

Back