Raw Wheat Supplies& Barley Seeds?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew about 5 tonnes of premium wheat this season. I still have some of the original seed left. I can send some in a standard envelope if you want some. The envelope can't be more than a certain thickness but I think the weight might be up to 200 grams. Not sure about that I will have to check. I'll send that free.
I would recommend growing potatoes and just a small amount of wheat to use for converting the starch into sugar.
Other alternatives could include corn or at this time of year you might get away with a quick millet crop, which incidentally can be malted.
I've had a really good corn beer from South Africa called 'Oranjeboom' which my old man bought a couple of times and I pinched a few. lol
IMHO a back yarder should just concentrate on growing hops. That will provide the opportunity to save a few bucks as I believe its possible to achieve a good yield with hops on a small scale even in the first season.
Cheers, let me know if you want some wheat seeds.
P.S.: Wheat should be given a protein rest when mashing.

Good work chef.
Love seeing people mucking around with their own grains.
Planning to malt again myself, but havnt been arsed yet. Your thread inspires me to get back into it.Single source attempt

+1 that feed barley is identical to malt sometimes.
We grow malt variety which passed regulary & now only sell it for feed.

If u r in a rural area, get to know a farmer.
That way u can get fresh seed before poisons added for nix.
U could also throw your hand grown & cut grains through his harvester to thresh.

Malting is quite easy. There's a beaut video article in here about it somewhere.
The trick is not to let the grain 'sour' which is hard in summer in Oz.
Barley & wheat are winter germinating plants.

Just about to carb up my wit that i used raw wheat in that i got from a flour mill near work.
The bloke at the mill said it was the export grade stuff,theres no husks or other shit in it,but does your eff go south!,but 25kg for free i can live with that :lol:
Let you know what its like!!

Yeah not wrong about the efficiency my beer was 9 points under jezzz.. Does anyone know how to add it to the ingredient list in Beersmith2 I put it in as 'wheat flaked' but clearly that didn't work, surely there is a way to incorporate it into the recipes and get a closer conversion rate?

Terrified wheat is great. No cereal mash required.

Torrified wheat is great. No cereal mash required.

And you'll get reasonable efficiency from it too, which is nice, but as such it's not a suitable yardstick for raw wheat.

Sorry I don't use beer smith so can't tell you how to add raw wheat.

Keen to hear how these turned out, no-where near here stocks brewing grains, and delivery is a killer ($40+ for a 25kg sack), if i can use raw feed wheat from norco in a wheat beer it will save me a fair bit.

Keen to hear how these turned out, no-where near here stocks brewing grains, and delivery is a killer ($40+ for a 25kg sack), if i can use raw feed wheat from norco in a wheat beer it will save me a fair bit.

It turned out really well, its still fermenting got a few more days to go, but tastes fantastic. Although I have not tried raw wheat from a home brew store and can't give a side by side taste test, but I honestly don't think it will make much of a difference. The biggest issue was that I didn't get a good efficiency from the mash, but others have said this is an issue with all raw wheat, I would adjust your efficiency by 12-15% as mentioned earlier..

I've always used Burghul as it's already cracked and gelatinised/boiled for Wits so no efficiency drop.

The popcorn maker trick looks OK, but you'd be there for ages doing a couple of kilos!

The thing that always worries me about raw wheat is how hard it is to crush and the amount of damage it can do to the rollers while crushing.

You can add in Raw Wheat into Beersmith, there is a couple of things to set - easiest is to copy Flaked or Torrified wheat and drop the yield to whatever your system will do with it - maybe only 40-50% yield depending on how you process it - e.g. b-glucan rest, cereal mash, how you crush it, etc.

With Burghul i've usually just used Torrified in beersmith and haven't been too far out, 2-3 points at most.

Terrified wheat is great. No cereal mash required.

You shouldn't need to cereal mash wheat. Corn and rice, sure but wheat starch has a gelatinization temp lower than normal mash temps, 52-64C.

I'm sure a cereal mash would help with a small decoction though just the same as any decoction increases efficiency

This is going to sound dodgy :eek: but because I BIAB I use a blender, I put in 2 cups of grain, turn it on high and shake for 12 seconds has been a bit of trail and error but I get a good grist and my trub is still ok.. usually takes about 5 minutes to do 5kg Might be an idea for raw wheat instead of damaging your mill.

This is going to sound dodgy :eek: but because I BIAB I use a blender, I put in 2 cups of grain, turn it on high and shake for 12 seconds has been a bit of trail and error but I get a good grist and my trub is still ok.. usually takes about 5 minutes to do 5kg Might be an idea for raw wheat instead of damaging your mill.

Not dodgy at all when you are talking wheat - it doesn't have a husk that needs to be milled properly anyway. Might give that a go next time

I've used the blender often for malted barley, works pretty well for biab, would work for wheat. As you say, trial and error is the way. Back in the 90's grain mills were pretty much unobtainium.

As I'm a bit of a slow brain, :lol: can I ask what we are comparing wheat to when we are discussing it as lowering efficiency?
For example, will raw wheat lower efficiency when we substitute it for raw barley?

The comparison would be against malted Barley not raw Barley.

I could not imagine much raw Barley being used in brewing beer.

Regards

Graeme

Thanks Gap.
Wouldn't take much to roast the wheat in an oven if that helps.

Latest posts

Back