Ratebeers - 50 Worst Beers Of The World

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to see how a list of best Australian beers couldn't include Alpha.

In a recent post from a board member who posts far too often for his own good (and yet I can't help but often agree with him) it was stated that the Alpha Pale is one of the most over-rated beers of all time. Furthermore, this person went on to claim that it tastes like a k&b beer.

I guess my point is that it is horses for courses and all such lists are pretty subjective. My guess is that the 50 worst list would look somewhat similar of the 50 best selling list. Someone likes that crap.

[EDIT: I should clarify that it is the opinions that make up the list that are subjective.]

Well another suggestion for this list, VB Raw. Somehow I received a six pack of it in the post today, perhaps a 'gift' (although if I received it from someone I knew, I would use the tissue paper wrapped around each bottle to stuff down their thraot until they ceased breathing) from CUB's marketing company.

Anyway long story short, watered down VB. Terrible. One mouthful, shocking! Thought I'll give it the benefit of doubt and have a second. Bad Idea!! Down the sink, open one of my Galaxy Pale Ales to rid my mouth of this horrendous taste that was beginning to make my eyes water.

Has anyone else tried this beer? Are they normally presented wrapped in green tissue paper with stickers that assist in promoting the '4 natural ingredients used' in a box that has no discernable features on the outside to help determine what is in it? Not that I am against the packaging. With the exception of the green bottle I thought the packaging was quite good. If it were a micro using this packaging I would be impressed, however it did allude to a beer that may be actually worth drinking.....

Why do people get upset about beers like VB Raw?

Sure, anyone who is obliged to drink it should feel upset but, really, who is expecting something progressive on this scale in this market.

Man, today's episode of Neighbours was terrible! I really don't know why I watched it. I usually watch Das Boot 24 hours a day!

Furthermore, this person went on to claim that it tastes like a k&b beer.

"this person" (come on it's you isn't it?) and their taste buds have my deepest sympathy.

I used to enjoy a kingfisher on tap while I waited for my Indian takeaway (in West London).

Not bad for a megalager, nice malt flavour anyway.

pbrosnan: That list is from 2006. http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/country/australia/14/

I think it may have been watered down with the local tap water - probably why is considered to be "on tap" beer there :)

Never the less I had a date with the porcelain that evening week

"this person" (come on it's you isn't it?) and their taste buds have my deepest sympathy.

It was actually me but I was trying to avoid offending anyone and thought the following point was the real meat of the post.

But I will say this: that beer (purchased very recently so it might have changed in the latest batch - as these bigger "small" beers are want to do) had the closest thing to "twang" I have ever tasted in a commercial beer and the hopping tasted entirely bolted on.

IMO, obviously.

Hard to see how a list of best Australian beers couldn't include Alpha. Could the list have been compiled from mainly US voting? If not then it's a fairly inaccurate reflection of the Australian beer scene, IMHO.

As in Matilda Bay Alpha?

If that's what you mean then read it again.

If not then which Alpha are you referring to?

As in Matilda Bay Alpha?

If that's what you mean then read it again.

If not then which Alpha are you referring to?

Apologies, I missed it. Perhaps the intense hoppiness leads to the perception of twang. It's getting up towards a Green Flash or Stone Arrogant *******. LCPA is a fine beer as well but it's not a really hoppy APA.

I think the latest batch must be a pale (npi) of its former self. The Alpha I had was barely hoppier than Fat Yak (another over-rated beer, but probably better overall than the Alpha I had).

Hey, don't mind those Fat Yaks! Mind you, only time I drink them is up at the snow/Jindabyne. I really like them, yet to try them in a bottle so will give a heads up if the bottled gear isn't up to scratch.

As for the lists - its all on ratings. And who rates? Subjective is the name of the game, although I agree with the beers that I've had in the worst list and do really like some of the ones I've had in the best list.

Besides, aren't we here to make our own beers, and to hell with the establishment?

- boingk

Hey, don't mind those Fat Yaks!

It is a good beer. If I have to drink a Fosters beer it'll be that one pretty much every time. I'm talking more about the absolute raves it gets, not sure it deserves to be anyone's favourite beer.

Or more to the point I don't think anyone deserves for it to be their favourite beer. So much great stuff about - get amongst it!

where is all the "great" stuff?

Out in the bush you dont get much choice

Back