Racking To Secondary

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gybrid

Reaction score
Hi there,

Just about to rack my first beer to secondary and was wondering if you are suppose to put the hop bag (little tea bag thing) into the secondary fermenter or not?

It's Super Alpha.

Cheers,

Jase

i normally dry hop with pellets - but just throw the tea bag in...

secondary for 2 weeks.....

rack to keg or bottling bucket thru a GMK in-line filter - do a forum search and you will find the thread...

hope this helps...

Does it matter if the secondary fermenter isn't sealing?

it has an air leak that levels the airlock

So long as flying bugs cannot get in, a small leak is fine.

You definitely want some way for CO2 to escape, via an airlock like you have set up, or the lid cracked open.

Not just flying bugs...

I found a stream of ants heading towards my fermenter the morning after pitching. I had left some splashed wort on the side of the fermenter and they were hard at the ball. Quite a few scouts cruising around the rim and looking for a way into the motherlode too. I just cleaned it up with some alcohol spray.

Ants would probably need the teeniest hole to get in. They probably wouldn't like the CO2 and alcohol fumes after a day or two but just after pitching they would be in ant heaven.

Speaking of ants, i was at my mates house sunday and he had 8-10 ants belly up in his bottle of wild turkey which had a pourer.

well if the french can have chocolate coated ants then we can have wort coated ones.. :lol:

My "secondary fermenters" are cubes that are slung into the fridge. ants not a problen, period.

Do be careful cleaning up wort splashed on a primary or secondary: ants are the lest of your worries, bacteria also love splashed wort!

Jovial Monk

Back