Quick Tun Weight Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bigd sample was from the tap
hydrometer is saying 1.075 ??

edit -that's a big beer for just over 5kg of grain/crystal

reason i ask tangent is a long time ago i had a grumpys kit that showed a very high reading.one of the suggestions from the grumps was not to take the first tap reading as gospel because it can be a trap for high wort(sugars) readings.stratification was also mentioned.try a reading from the top with the pipette that comes with the refractometer.

cheers
big d

also just thinking what was your final amount of wort.if high still in og you could always add water to bring it back into speck.

tangent said:
bigd sample was from the tap
hydrometer is saying 1.075 ??

edit -that's a big beer for just over 5kg of grain/crystal
[post="106664"][/post]​

Hi Tangent,
How did your boil calculations work out?
It may have a high gravity reading due to the amount that boiled off over the hour.
Just a thought.
Cheers

Edit; big d was of the same thought at the same time.

it turned out almost spot on at 23L in the fermenter
good idea with the stratification, i might try a few drops from the top

Plastic

The 36lt igllo type cooler,like this thread started with.

Interesting to see the difference in members equipment and temps.

Cheers Batz

tangent said:
ok, I've done a refractometer reading before fermentation kicks in.
20.5 Brix
that's 1.086 SG!! :blink:
My software suggests it should be around 1.048 :huh: ????
Even if I had 100% efficiency, it still wouldn't be that high. I'm estimating 70% efficiency.

I tried my refractometer with plain water and it's reading zero, so it shouldn't be a calibration problem.

What the hell is going on??????
[post="106651"][/post]​

I agree - u can get stratification - i stir in a diagnal top to bttom.
Hope This helps.

All that efficiency must be down to the great Mash Tun...

i could easily do a double mash in that tun Ken, i was worried it'd be too small for high gravity beers but 5 kilos barely looked like there was anything in there at all :)

ok
refractometer reading from the top of the brew - 5brix
whew
major stratification, not 200% efficiency :)

thats the beauty of an atc refractomer tangent.you can take the reading whilst boiling the wort and see how your going brix wise.

cheers
big d

tangent said:
i could easily do a double mash in that tun Ken, i was worried it'd be too small for high gravity beers but 5 kilos barely looked like there was anything in there at all :)
[post="106686"][/post]​

I've mashed with well over 9 kilos of grain in that type of tun, I would not be too concerned :D

i did over 7 kilos in the mayo buckets :)
(but that was a very low water to grain ratio)

wee stu said:
tangent said:
[post="106686"][/post]​

I've mashed with well over 9 kilos of grain in that type of tun, I would not be too concerned :D
[post="106703"][/post]​

Well i have mashed close to 15kg in the Rubbermaid 36ltr Cooler before...

15 kg is impressive Ken. What was the OG, or was a it a double (perhaps triple) batch?

Seth (in awe) :blink: :p

Done two brews.
1st was trying to get 40 ltrs of Forbidden fruit aiming at 1090 with 16kg of grain. This had 800gms of candi sugar.
2nd was 40ltrs of Trios Pistoles aiming at 1088 with 14.82kg of grain.
but this ahd 1kg of dark brown and white sugar.

came pretty close with both - but it seems that with this size grain bill - mashing with 25-30ltrs of water to almost 15-16kg of grain = lower efficiency.

But i did get a second runnings of of 20 ltrs at 1050 on both batches..
Had to add a little LME - a kilo to get it back to 1050 at 20ltrs - very nice/cheap beer.

Edit - the 2nd runnings batch.

Latest posts

Back