Quick Question On Carbinating A Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickpc

Reaction score
Just a quick question, if I chill down a keg and then carbinate it, then take it out of the fridge (for storage) how long do I need to put it back into the fridge before serving? ie how long does the keg need to rebalance?

Cheers Mick

Just a quick question, if I chill down a keg and then carbinate it, then take it out of the fridge (for storage) how long do I need to put it back into the fridge before serving? ie how long does the keg need to rebalance?

Cheers Mick

You won't, unless it leaks.

You'll just want to put it in the fridge until it's at your serving temp.

Depending on how long you want to store it for before drinking I guess. By that I mean keeping it chilled will clear it quicker by causing all the sediment to sink. Storing it at room temp will take longer to clear and moving it again to put it in the fridge may disturb any sediment. This is all of course if you dont filter it in any way when you fill it. if you do then no real problems with any sediment.

Was wondering the same thing myself; am about to get kegging gear without a proper beer fridge. There will be some moving around and wondered how much trouble there would be in not having a dedicated and constant carbonation hook up.. Expect to carbonate it up, put it in the fridge and then take it out for carbonation top ups as necessary. Is this too much trouble?

How big is yr co2 bottle? It's easier to get a 2.6kg co2 bottle in & out of a fridge than to get a full 19L corny out & back in again.

How big is yr co2 bottle? It's easier to get a 2.6kg co2 bottle in & out of a fridge than to get a full 19L corny out & back in again.

cheers. am just now watching 'anatomy of a kegerator' here : http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/beerology/kegerators and realizing that the co2 bottles aren't necessarily all that big.. I seem to imagine a huge bottle that wont fit inside.. Suppose that would eat up space for a second keg though...

Depending on how long you want to store it for before drinking I guess. By that I mean keeping it chilled will clear it quicker by causing all the sediment to sink. Storing it at room temp will take longer to clear and moving it again to put it in the fridge may disturb any sediment. This is all of course if you dont filter it in any way when you fill it. if you do then no real problems with any sediment.
is it better to store a keg at room temp fully carbed or flat with just a co2 head for protection from bugs?
i've been rechilling then carbing.

Hey Milob,

I chill my fermenter to 2-4 degrees when I keg then force carb regardless of whether the keg will go into the keg fridge or be allowed to warm up in the shed. I want the C02 to take up all the headspace in the keg etc.

Brewlord makes a good point on temperature and clarity - but once the keg has sat for a month or two it's pretty clear anyhow. What I have done with three cider keg that have been sitting in the shed for a month is to take a 1/2 pint sample of each to push out any sediment/yeast. After a month the rest of the sediment is quite hard packed and doesn't move when the kegs do.

Cheers,

InCider.

Back