Quick Beersmith Water Profile Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderchild

Reaction score
Hello group,

I'm just starting to play with water chemistry in Beersmith. When you nominate in your water profile the base water volume - Is that the expected batch size or the amount of water you are starting with?

Thanks in advance fo your help.

TC

That's the amount of water you would add your salts to in order to get the desired profile (for that amount of water). This would be the total volume of water you mash and sparge with.

I do it twice, one calc for the mash, so only for the volume of my mash water. Then again for the kettle 45L, but only add CaSO4

Screwy

Thanks,

Does anybody know of some good liturature I could get hold of to educate myself??

Yep, Noonans Brewing Lager and also there are some good podcasts on water on the home brew network. Pretty much covers everything you need to know.

I do it twice, one calc for the mash, so only for the volume of my mash water. Then again for the kettle 45L, but only add CaSO4

Screwy

Just bringing up an old thread, as I had the same question, and noticed your response, Screwtop. Can I ask why you do a second calc for the kettle? Are you doing 2 additions of gypsum - one in mash and another in boil? If so, what is the benefit of this? I am a bit uneducated on water chemistry and I had always thought the gypsum additions were for the mash....

Cheers - Snow.

Just bringing up an old thread, as I had the same question, and noticed your response, Screwtop. Can I ask why you do a second calc for the kettle? Are you doing 2 additions of gypsum - one in mash and another in boil? If so, what is the benefit of this? I am a bit uneducated on water chemistry and I had always thought the gypsum additions were for the mash....

Cheers - Snow.

Snow,

Listened to an interview with a pro brewer, who said that kettle additions suffer from precipitation of salt additions (left in the grist), and so they add salts to the kettle pre boil. Tried it and was very happy with the hop brightness it produced, since then I have heard quite a few pro brewers say that they add kettle additions. The amount added to the mash is calculated on the volume of strike water and the amount of kettle salts is calculated on the remainder of total brewing water volume.

Cheers,

Screwy

Back