• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Purchasing Hop Rhizomes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortsheep

Reaction score
I am interested in putting in a hop garden at my property. I have about 1 Ha or land to plant out, and am trying to find a nursery to buy the hop rhizomes off. Can any one put me in touch with a supplier who can provide me with the plants, and can provide me with some advice.

Apologies if I've posted this question in the wrong section. I'm not very computer literate.

Hey Shortsheep!

Welcome to the forum!

I have purchased some hop rhizomes off a fellow member here on AHB, and I am sure that some will come up for sale around winter time again (this is when I purchased mine).

I have not come across a nursery that sells them, but I may have not looked hard enough.

If I was you I would have a look at building yourself some trellis's and making some raised beds (depending on your soil) and mixing in some compost and manure so it has time to break down insuring your hops get the most benefit come planting time. There are plenty of threads on here if you use the top search bar, this is located at the top right-hand corner of the page.

Cheers,

Ben

I got half a dozen rhizomes off this bloke from Tazzie.

They are going well in western vic atm.
Depending on where you are there may be some quarantine issues.

http://www.hopco.com.au/

You say you have imported Rhizomes from tassie and tell someone else there may be quarantine issues :blink:

Uncool man...

How is that 'uncool'? He bought them from a hop importer so it would be safe to assume they know a bit more about the quarantine side of things. When giving mine away, I didn't send them to Tas or WA but that's because my business is in Education, not hop importing / exporting so I erred on the side of caution.

The OP doesn't list his location so if he is based in WA then I think a fair point was made.

it's probably safe to say that the rhizomes are not imported?

if the rhizomes are from Tassie, im pretty sure that they arent sposed to be exported to victoria?

sure, based on a couple of assumptions, but Ive not as yet, been corrected.

though implied, he doesnt actually say it's from Hopco either.

Im 'pertty' (at least is my understanding until corrected) sure you arent sposed to bring any hops to Victoria from Tassie or WA.

If it was Hopco, and it's true that rhizomes should not be imported from Tassie then it's more than uncool.

;)

Yob, I think it's the other way round. Tas and WA have stricter quarantine laws than other states, so you can't import into WA or Tas, but you can definitely send out the other way.

Even saying that, hops (and other plants) can be sent to WA and Tas with the correct certification/stat decs etc. Mostly though, it's prohibitive enough that people don't do it. Barls has done it for me in the past though.

So I think it's a valid point. If the OP is in WA or Tas, check out quarantine restrictions.

will be emailing DAFF for an official answer either way, just for my own curiosity,

Always happy to be corrected if my understanding is not as it should be ;)

Excuse my ignorance, but why are there quarantine issues with sending between states, and what are the chances / penalties for getting caught out?

Well... just got off the phone to border security dudes,

a PCI certificate must be had to import to Victoria, now Im keen to know if one came with them?

:icon_cheers:

Excuse my ignorance, but why are there quarantine issues with sending between states, and what are the chances / penalties for getting caught out?

The same reason there's quarantine issues with bringing stuff into the country; there are places that are disease & pest free, and we want to keep it that way! If you care about our agricultural resources (which includes those that affect our brewing industry), it doesn't matter what the chances are of getting caught; you just don't do it. I don't know what the individual penalty is, but I'm sure it's far outweighed by the cost to society (through our taxes) of trying to erradicate these kinds of problems down the line.

Cheers,
tallie

but I'm sure it's far outweighed by the cost to society

not to mention the society in question here is us too, how are we going to fare if the Hop industry here goes through a decline due to preventable disease...

hate to be the person tracked down and made responsible for that.

I remember a little while ago a guy posted a piccie of a cancerous Hop Rhizome he had (from memory it was imported as well) and the advice given was to BURN it.. cant remember exactly what it was now but the disease in question travels through the ground and infects as it goes..

dangerous stuff.

sandy at hopco will have them around mid winter. doubt you will find any right now as its in the middle of the growing season.

no idea mine are 7 years old and i cant remember.

so they do come certified Barls?

I have purchased rhizomes from Sandy at Hopco, I don't recall any certification or paperwork etc. AFAIK I don't think he even grows the ones he sells as he refers to his 'supplier', furthermore I think this means he does not have a limitless supply.

This website seems to indicate that most things coming from TAS are fair game, with the exception of weeds and beekeeping stuff. Maybe hops are one of the 'exceptions' that it talks about. Also, does a copy of the PCI certification need to be attached, or does it just need to be obtained by the company supplying the good?

Latest posts

Back