Pumpkin Beer, Do You Plan On Ever Making One

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you have a go at making one to enter in a comp

• I would make a Pumpkin Beer and enter it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I plan on making a Pumpkin Beer one day, but not interested in entering a comp

• Not interested in making Pumpkin Beer

• Total voters
Best All Grain Beer David Clarke

Best Extract Chris Ossowski

Champion Beer David Clarke

Well done BABBS boys :icon_chickcheers:

Well done indeed, thanks to all who entered!

The committee were very happy with the interest generated and the way the comp was conducted. Now to plan for next year....... maybe some sub categories. I gotta find a way to get more pumpkininess into my beer :lol:

Screwy

It was a fun beer to brew too!

Wrapped with the results.

Might have to go have a sneaky one now.....

Here's a cool photo of draining kettle...see the cloves :icon_cheers:

IMG_2706__Large_.jpg

PB

Congratulations Dave & Chris!

My pumpkin stout keg blew last night and I'm already thinking of brewing it again. Although next time, I think I'll be leaving the pumpkin out and just going with the spices.

Cheers,
tallie

I've been thinking about brewing a pumpkin ale for ages now.
I'm thinking about BB ale base, 2 Kg roasted butternut, say 5% light crystal, 3% cararoma, Williamette and EKG to about 30 IBU
For those who have made a pumpkin ale- how did it go?
Cheers.

Pumpkin Beer entries in the 2011 Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Homebrew Comp were fantastic. There were many variations from some taleted brewers. Have to say that my entry is only now hitting it's straps, very drinkable now after 6 months.

Hopefully 2012 will see even more entries, including some from interstate brewers.

Screwy

Pumpkin Beer entries in the 2011 Goomeri Pumpkin Festival Homebrew Comp were fantastic. There were many variations from some taleted brewers. Have to say that my entry is only now hitting it's straps, very drinkable now after 6 months.

Hopefully 2012 will see even more entries, including some from interstate brewers.

Screwy

Cheers, Screwy. Does this style of beer benefit from low IBU's (25-30) to allow the pumpkin to come through? Looking forward to having a crack at this.

I brewed my first pumpkin beer a few days ago, no chilled and yet to ferment. should this beer be aged or drunk fresh like an apa or the likes? I see Screwy mentioned his coming along after 6 months, obviously this can have alot to do with the recipe i know. i brewed basically straight out of the Brewing Classic Styles book.

20lt batch
4.5kg MO
300g biscuit
220 light crystal
200 dark crystal
50g melanoidan
2.26kg roast jap (added to mash)
40g ekg @ 60
1/2 tsp cinnamon @ f'out
1/4 tsp ginger @ f'out
1/8 tsp nutmeg @ f'out
1/8 tsp allspice @ f'out
mash in a 68deg, 90 min mash
reserve 1/3 of spice addition and add to fermenter after fermentation finished and leave for a few days before kegging
1469 @ 20deg
no chilled 21lt into cube

bah

Cheers, Screwy. Does this style of beer benefit from low IBU's (25-30) to allow the pumpkin to come through? Looking forward to having a crack at this.

John, brewed my "Oh My Gourd" with a GU: of 56 and BU of 24. Spice used was ground Cinnamon, Ginger, Nutmeg, Clove plus a little fresh Gulangal.

Bitterness/Sweetness balance needs to be on the sweet side to balance the spice. Bit of a balancing act.

Screwy

Latest posts

Back