Puffing Quinoa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brendanos

Reaction score
I am brewing a Biere de Garde on the weekend with 20% toasted flaked quinoa & 5% (hopefully) puffed red quinoa.

Puffed quinoa is really quite expensive ($70/kg) so I'm going to have a crack at puffing some myself using a Coretta-style coffee roasting setup (hot air gun, bread machine, temp probe)

I plan to rinse the quinoa in boiling water and dry them over night. I will then attempt to puff them at around 250C in the bread machine with the hot air gun.

If anyone has puffed grains/anything with air or can offer some advice re: process (moisture?) and temperatures I would very much appreciate it - I can't afford to get it wrong too many times!

As for the rest of the beer - 50 % Ale, 15% Munich & 10% Wheat Malt, Fuggles, Pureed raisins (200g), Saffron (10). Not sure about yeast yet (buying tomorrow) will depend what's available/fresh but hoping for Biere de Garde, French Saison, German Ale or something Belgian.

I will mash the cereals with the wheat at 50C for 15 mins, raise to 80C then add to main mash (at 60C >15 mins) and rest the whole lot at 68C for a while before mashout to 80C. Boiled, strained rice hulls will be added (600g) to the sparge.

Thanks, found those. Can't find much on DIY puffing though, especially quinoa.

Has anyone puffed rice, amaranth, millet or anything other than corn?

Brewed this today as per above procedure. I bought puffed quinoa rather than doing it myself. Cereal mash did not turn to glue & the runoff was bright almost instantly (cloudy for a few hundred mls) - probably the quickest ever a recirc has cleared up for me. Assumed an extract of about 80% and efficiency of 80% and was over grav/under volume a little but left a lot of trub in the kette.

Will try to report back with my results once it has fermented/conditioned etc.

Back