Prunes In The Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is soo wrong and so right at the same time!

IMG_3592.jpg

Lotsa caramunich and caraaroma and a sprinkle of roast barleyz with the pils in the mash. Went 55C, 61C, 67C...

IMG_3593.jpg

And EKG + Nelson Sauvin to around 20 IBUs. And a bucket load of extra dark Belgian candy syrup. My only issue now is that I have adequately replaced the cane sugar addition with the prune's fructose.

IMG_3594.jpg

Jesus, that top pic isn't a great advertisement for prune beer!.

Jesus, that top pic isn't a great advertisement for prune beer!.

:D

Smells amazing though looking like a dog with the trots did it.

Actually quite acidic - quite tart tasting. I'm going to bring it to the boil then add it 5 mins before the koppafloc.

Strange thing, is the smell of the Nelson and the prunes is almost the same.

That looks a little more appealing. Chocolate sauce more than blended prunes.

I'd give anyone $50 if they downed that. It'd turn you inside out. :lol:

IMG_3596.jpg

This beer could give new meaning to the terms first and second runnings...

;)

Kev

Any updates (upprunes doesn't have the same ring to it) on this, mate?

Is it hazy?

Can you taste the prunes?

Any updates (upprunes doesn't have the same ring to it) on this, mate?

Is it hazy?

Can you taste the prunes?

It's in the keg, yet to be carbed up. But I've tasted it a lot.

Lost about 1/3 or the batch to trub ... fermenter trub. 2/3 came off alright to secondary and the last third was just sludge. Delicious sludge, but not really beer. Would be great on toast.

It shows a lot of the 1214 character. There's esters and a bit of phenolics (I've since spiced it with Chinese 5 Spice), but it's all pretty much drowned by the prunes. I used too much by about an order of magnitude.

If you were told it was a plum wine, you'd probably not say, "nah, it tastes more like a dubbel with some dried fruit."

It's very dry. Had I been aiming for this, I'd call it a great success. When it's all carbed up it might be a ripper. Literally - I've been refering to it as the Anal Leakage batch.

:icon_offtopic: I have put prunes in a jar full of rum and left them for a year or two for xmas very tasty,might have to start doing it again.

1/3 to trub, spewing. I'm wondering if that could be avoided by preparing the prunes differently or not adding them to boil?

I like the idea, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out once carbed, mate. Love the idea of a cleansing ale :D

Latest posts

Back