Pretzels And Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made your pretzels on the weekend with my daughter, Merc.

Almost burnt out the hand mixer going by the smell of the motor, and had to resort to kit yeast, but they turned out bloody fantastic!
Thanks for posting the recipe. I'll make them again sometime soon.:icon_cheers:

I've made these quite a few times now, the wife and I love em, but no matter what I do, they always end up looking like dog turds.

Currently making merc's pretzels, just waiting for the dough to rise. I planning a oktoberfest 25th Bday party this year. So i thought i better practice making some of these for it. Will see how they turn out and maybe put up a pick. Depending on how much of a fail it was.

Well it worked out awesome. However next time i might make 2 more and make them a bit smaller. The hardest part is cooking them in the bicarb without everything turning pear shape. Will defiantly be doing them for oktoberfest. Still working out how to downsize pics and will put them up.

Made these yesterday, fan-bloody-tastic :super: . Took them to the Big Brew Day at Wilnkles and from all reports they were a hit. Here is a pic of first batch out of the oven. Made a triple batch on faith that it was a going to be a top recipe. Easy as too. Not exactly folded as they supposed to be but who cares...

223432_10150182231883187_579648186_6779511_3046027_n.jpg

Well it worked out awesome. However next time i might make 2 more and make them a bit smaller. The hardest part is cooking them in the bicarb without everything turning pear shape. Will defiantly be doing them for oktoberfest. Still working out how to downsize pics and will put them up.

Keep it quick in the bi carb solution and dont make the pretzels too skinny and large as I did that once and they tended to break up when I dipped them in the bi carb boiling solution especially when turning.

Sully they look good and I am glad to hear you made a triple batch and your faith was rewarded!

Cheers for the tips Merc will try it out next time.

Here a couple of pics of them.

DSC01690.JPG

DSC01692.JPG

Merc,

Made these this afternoon after work, dead easy to make. (albeit mine are a bit ugly, Hmm more practice needed)

Very good with a Bock to wash it down.

Cheers,

Leary

Bock_with_pretzel.jpg

Merc,

Made these this afternoon after work, dead easy to make. (albeit mine are a bit ugly, Hmm more practice needed)

Very good with a Bock to wash it down.

Cheers,

Leary

Fantastic photo Leary - I just want a bock and a pretzel right now!!!

trying to make them right now... dough is rising (went 1.5X in just 15 minutes!!!).

One thing though... I'm using whole wheat flour, its all I had on hand as its all I normally use. The dough seemed a bit too fluid to me. say, wrt pizza dough that I spread in the pan itself by hand, its the same sort of consistency, rather soft. Compared to 'roti' dough, like for indian roti thats got to be rolled thin, its an impossible dough. I am sure I used a full 3 cups of flour because 2 was just goo.

Is this expected or is my use of wholemeal wheat flour setting me up for disaster? either way, it shall be handled :)

IMG_0270.JPG

MMMMMMMMM

love em. Have to get white flour sometime too. thankx a bunch merc

Made another batch today of Mercs Pretzels and decided to experiment a bit. Rolled the dough into about a 6mm thick flat round, placed a slice of shaved ham and a sprinkle of grated cheese, rolled it up into a cigar shape and continued as normal - the result was omfg how fruckin good is this. Only made 2 though :(

Pure GENIUS! :wub:

Made another batch today of Mercs Pretzels and decided to experiment a bit. Rolled the dough into about a 6mm thick flat round, placed a slice of shaved ham and a sprinkle of grated cheese, rolled it up into a cigar shape and continued as normal - the result was omfg how fruckin good is this. Only made 2 though :(

Bumping this thread as I finally (thanks to an RDO) got around to trying the Pretzel recipe. Haven't tasted yet, but so easy to make, and they look and smell great. Also did a (cheaters - packet mix) Sourdough Rye loaf as well, replacing all the water with my stout...!

Baking.jpg

Cheers

Bumping this thread as I finally (thanks to an RDO) got around to trying the Pretzel recipe. Haven't tasted yet, but so easy to make, and they look and smell great. Also did a (cheaters - packet mix) Sourdough Rye loaf as well, replacing all the water with my stout...!

View attachment 49238

Cheers
Wadya mean ya havent tried them yet?? You waited to take a photo before eating one? I made a double batch yesterday and as I was taking them out of the oven before I could put them on the cooling rack two of daughters took a pretzel each and started to eat!!! They were too hot of course so they put them down for one minute tops then they took off with them and ate them!

Good work though!

Ha ha, nice. Lucky for me the dogs can't reach the bench! Believe me, between baking and brewing today, I did eat a couple ;) Shame I burnt the bottom a little - crappy cheap oven in our rental :(

Cheers!

Back