Pretzels And Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
made my second batch this morning. They turned out MUCH better than the first one. the mix for the first batch was a little too watery/sticky especially after my little 3 yo helper added more water to the mix as I was shaping them. still tasty though. Got the mix much better this time, also made some snails for the boys :)

Sully that is a gold idea stuffing them! next time lamb bacon stuffed pretzels are in order.

P1070013.jpg

P1070014.jpg

Had a go at these this afternoon! The results were tasty! Washed down with with Dr Smurto's Golden Ale.

Pretzel_and_Golden_Ale_02.JPG

Mmmmm. This time, I used a caustic lauge, just dip in the cold caustic and job done, no boiling.

null-12.jpg

Thanks for the awesome recipe! I'm keen to try them with my next home brew - definitely the perfect complement to a tasty beer :)

Don't know why but the recipe at the beginning of this thread has been sabotaged?? or the amounts just gone missing

it calls for 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of water

There's a lot of that going on round here lately by all accounts.

Mmm I had some awesome pretzels in Germany earlier this year!

Can't wait for the weekend to get baking already!

First attempt at pretzels from mercs book, tasted much better then they looked.....buggered if I could work out how to twist them.

gallery_1229_1291_1148607.jpg

And now the Simpsons is about Marge starting a pretzel business so watch that and I should be sweet!

TSMill said:
First attempt at pretzels from mercs book, tasted much better then they looked.....buggered if I could work out how to twist them.

gallery_1229_1291_1148607.jpg
You mean to say you didn't follow my long winded convoluted description on how to swirl twirl and twist!!!!!? Took me a long time to write that in a way that it may make sense!?

Does anyone have any or an idea where I can get some sodium hydroxide for pretzels? Ive tried bicarb but didn't quite get the colour + I've read I can use it for making Belgian candy as well. Northwest Sydney.

cheers
Roastin

roastin said:
Does anyone have any or an idea where I can get some sodium hydroxide for pretzels? Ive tried bicarb but didn't quite get the colour + I've read I can use it for making Belgian candy as well. Northwest Sydney.

cheers
Roastin
Roastin

I used the bicarb but grabbed a handful of carared, ground and sifted it and added to the mix (was about 1 tbsp)
Brushed with some whisked egg white then sprinkle on the salt and cook.

Gave me some great colour and sheen.

I also don't bother forming pretzels - just roll into sausages, cut into 3 or 4 cm lengths - and cook them.
Pretzel bites!

Mardoo said:
You can get cooking lye at bigger Chinese food stores.
Got some cooking lye yesterday, does anyone know what the dilution should be. Ive read 1-2 tbsp per litre but that was for NaOh.

Back