Potential Ager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hogan

Stalag Brewery
Reaction score
As a novice home brewer (and will be for a while yet) I have cut my teeth on the kits and now want to start moving toward the slippery slope of AGing and Partials.

I have a little knowledge (a dangerous thing) but want to be sure of myself so far as the right ingredients to use when I move in that direction.

I am looking for a chart, site, etc. that shows what grains, hops, yeast etc. go best together to make a particular (any) style of beer. I know that there are a lot of the ingredients that basically do the same job but some would definately do it better than others. I also know that tastes vary and that when I have the experience I can put whatever I want into a brew, so long as I like the result.

But I am looking for a starting point so that when I begin up that slope and make a German Pilsner it doesnt end up tasting like Stout (drawing a long bow there I know).

Cheers, Hogan.

Hogan

it's always a good idea to have a quick search before starting a new topic. This topic was covered this week on this thread. Use the search button between the recipes and links buttons at the top of the page.

I found looking at a few recipes gave me some idea of which goes with what. You could have a look at this recipe site for some ideas, or this site's ok too.

There are heaps of recipes on here as well. A search will find a fair few and it may be a good idea to decide on what type of beer you want to drink first, then go from there. You can keep it simple to start with, keep the recipe basic, then tinker with it as your taste demands. :chug:

Thanks Stuster

Don't know how I missed that first thread, had searched previous but results were not exactly what I was looking for. The additional sites will be very useful. Just what I was after.

Cheers, Hogan.

Hi Hogan
A book titled "Designing Great Beers" by Ray Daniels is not a bad start.
It is a little bit U.S. flavoured but gives some good information and a starting point for most styles.
Good luck with your AG adventure,

Latest posts

Back