Potato Peel Oxygen Generator

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've decided to lodge only a preliminary patent application for the work to which the "other method" is related while I get some more testing done.

I won't be publicising anything related to it until I decide whether a full patent is worthwhile, likely just before the year's grace from the preliminary expires which will be June 2018.

Sorry for the tease.

Last edited:
LC I think the one thing brewing teaches is patience, I'll probably be enjoying the next RIS I brew in 2019, and I know it'll be worth the wait.

MJ

I've decided to lodge only a preliminary patent application for the work to which the "other method" is related while I get some more testing done.

I won't be publicising anything related to it until I decide whether a full patent is worthwhile, likely just before the year's grace from the preliminary expires which will be June 2018.

Sorry for the tease.
Not a worry at all - all the best with the testing and development!

Thanks very much for the detail on the method and the results - very interesting and it has certainly planted a seed in my mind.

The problem i see with hydrogen peroxide is obtaining the hydrogen peroxide and storage if you do not have a use for concentrated or access then its going to be expensive and possibly dangerous and if using diluted expensive , could sodium percarbonate be used to create the hydrogen peroxide solution for the potato peel.

Yes, but it will make judging the level more difficult as you'll have to know the exact peroxide level of your percarbonate: the commercially available stuff is generally about 30% peroxide I believe.

Manganese Dioxide (that black powdery stuff in old style batteries) as noted is an excellent catalyst for oxygen generation from H2O2.
Adding some Manganese Dioxide to a Sodium Percarbonate solution produces a pretty fast reaction!! You could do it in a pressure container, say a 9 litre cornie with convenient disconnects or even a PET bottle with one of those carbonation lids. Straight out to your oxygen stone....10g of Sodium Percarbonate will produce over a litre of oxygen.

Back