Post Your Ghetto Gear Thread. The < $2.00 Hopper

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure if my new dry-hop-bomb qualifies as ghetto or not:
hop_bomb_zpsb7d74e5f.jpg

It's a large-ish ebay tea-strainer, In theory it cost about $5-6, but the vendor did something weird/dodgy and ebay pulled their listing issuing a refund (after I paid for it, but before I received it).

Hell yeah Wolfy, never would have thought of using those little suckers. Just bought 4 of them, can see them being mighty handy for dry hopping, spices additions to the boil and a myriad of other things.

Hell yeah Wolfy, never would have thought of using those little suckers. Just bought 4 of them, can see them being mighty handy for dry hopping, spices additions to the boil and a myriad of other things.
This is a big sucker though, I don't have any tea-cups that it would fit in, but should be ideal for the stuff you mentioned. :beerbang:

Wofly,

Get a magnet & check the latch pin, Ithink you'll find it's plated steel not stainless. Before too long it will corrode off into your beer...

Wofly,

Get a magnet & check the latch pin, Ithink you'll find it's plated steel not stainless. Before too long it will corrode off into your beer...
Thanks, will keep a close eye on it, it didn't rust (yet) after being soaked for day(s) in cleaning solution, but it might still work without the latch-pin (if that's the only part that is non-stainless).

if it does fail wolfy just grab a couple of ss bolts and drill holes through the flange. looks like you will have enough of one to do that.

I bought 4 eight cm ones to do keg hopping. They just fit in if you crush the top a little. The catches and hinges look like mild steel. I have one in a keg now so will check it out after.

If it looks like rusting i'll either replace it with some stainless tie wire or a couple of little zip ties.

It seems my entire brew set up is nice and ghetto.

See my hi-tech insulation on my free stock pot:
GhettoPot_zpsd27eeae5.jpg

Note the awesome mash paddle. Actually a potato masher screwed to a piece of dowel. At the other end of the dowel are markings so I know how much water is in the tun.

Below is a pic of my yeast rehydrator. It's a litre, and at the moment there's 500ml of fresh wort from another batch that I chucked a pack of US-05 into for pitching tomorrow.
Ghettorehydrator_zps15188032.jpg

Cheers,

GAB

erm.. is that garden hose you are running hot wort through? :blink: Replace with Silicone Hose

You shouldnt be doing that to Dry Yeast either..

Read the Safale instructions for Rehydrating US-05 HERE

erm.. is that garden hose you are running hot wort through? :blink: Replace with Silicone Hose

You shouldnt be doing that to Dry Yeast either..

Read the Safale instructions for Rehydrating US-05 HERE

Running cold water through the hose. It's set up to run from the tap to the kettle to fill it without me having to move it. The hose is removed before the wort is poured (from height) into the fermenter.

Cheers for the advice on the yeast. I've read through that and will do a side-by side on next brew day - just to see if there's a difference, I can notice.

Perhaps I'll start using the leftover wort for priming, or something.

Perhaps I'll start using the leftover wort for priming, or something.

:icon_offtopic: Why not use the left over wort to make a starter and give some liquid yeast a go?

Yeah, when the recipe calls for it, I do. Can't beat US-05 for an APA, IMHO. (Currently ramping an APA to boil),

:icon_offtopic: Why not use the left over wort to make a starter and give some liquid yeast a go?

Just what I was about to say. Means you dont have to worry about making starters for dried yeast, and gets you into the liquid yeast zone - where a whole world of flavour awaits thee.

Running cold water through the hose. It's set up to run from the tap to the kettle to fill it without me having to move it.

Mate have you ever as a kid drank cold water from a garden hose? Even cold it has a taste from the hose. But must admit I havent done it since I was a kid so might not have a taste these days like it used too. Still I would check it anyway you dont want that taste in your beer.

Mate have you ever as a kid drank cold water from a garden hose? Even cold it has a taste from the hose. But must admit I havent done it since I was a kid so might not have a taste these days like it used too. Still I would check it anyway you dont want that taste in your beer.
:icon_offtopic: Because it will cost heaps more than $2.
IMO it still does Truman. I used to get a plasticy/chloriny taste in my beer. I now use food grade water hose for transfering from mains system to brewing vessel (through two 10" water filters).

It seems my entire brew set up is nice and ghetto.

See my hi-tech insulation on my free stock pot:
GhettoPot_zpsd27eeae5.jpg

Note the awesome mash paddle. Actually a potato masher screwed to a piece of dowel. At the other end of the dowel are markings so I know how much water is in the tun.

Below is a pic of my yeast rehydrator. It's a litre, and at the moment there's 500ml of fresh wort from another batch that I chucked a pack of US-05 into for pitching tomorrow.
Ghettorehydrator_zps15188032.jpg

Cheers,

GAB
does the yeast rehydrator have a flat bottom. might be perfect for a stir plate if i does.
im assuming its from the supermarket right.

Yeah, that's why I bought it in the first place ... And still haven't built the stir plate. I shoul get onto that.

This is my ghetto biab rig, put down 4 all grain beers so far with no problems.

biab_rig.jpg

Consisting of an old stove top from my folks place which they replaced,

three burners are bent around from the original manifold and screwed in a tight cluster.

Bricks are used to hold keggle up, keeping with the ghetto theme of course.

And finally a wood saw used as a heat shield as the switches were burning pretty badly :D

This is my ghetto biab rig, put down 4 all grain beers so far with no problems.

View attachment 59252

Consisting of an old stove top from my folks place which they replaced,

three burners are bent around from the original manifold and screwed in a tight cluster.

Bricks are used to hold keggle up, keeping with the ghetto theme of course.

And finally a wood saw used as a heat shield as the switches were burning pretty badly :D

That is ghetto but i bet it still makes great beer.

That is ghetto but i bet it still makes great beer.

apart from 65% efficiency leaving a little to be desired (i'm sure could be improved with better brewing practise), it makes fantastic beer, and super easy to! never had any experiance with all grain apart from what i've read on here and brewing is a sinch with this setup pretty happy with it. And love that it cost pratically nothing! ($50 keggle) + gas

Ghetto Gear All The Way!!!!

Back