Porter - Stopped Fermenting

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexi

Reaction score
2.00 kgLight Dry Extract (10.0 EBC)Dry Extract49.38 %1.00 kgLight Dry Extract (10.0 EBC)Dry Extract24.69 %0.35 kgChocolate Malt (600.0 EBC)Grain8.64 %0.25 kgCaramel/Crystal Malt - 30L (60.0 EBC)Grain6.17 %0.25 kgCaramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (120.0 EBC)Grain6.17 %0.15 kgBlack (Patent) Malt (900.0 EBC)Grain3.70 %0.05 kgCarafa III (1300.0 EBC)Grain1.23 %30.00 gmGoldings, East Kent [6.50 %] (60 min)Hops17.2 IBU30.00 gmFuggles [4.20 %] (60 min)Hops11.1 IBU10.00 gmGoldings, East Kent [6.50 %] (12 min)Hops2.4 IBU10.00 gmFuggles [4.20 %] (12 min)Hops1.5 IBU10.00 gmFuggles [4.20 %] (0 min)Hops- 10.00 gmGoldings, East Kent [6.50 %] (0 min)Hops- 2 PkgsSafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04)Yeast-Ale
Hi all,

I put this porter down about a week and a half ago and hit the OG specified by BeerSmith of 1049, however, fermentation has stalled and the last tow gravity readings have been stuck at 1020 over the last 3 days. It has been fairly cold here is Tassie, even though I have an immersion heater could this have contributed? Or do you think I didnt pitch sufficient yeast? I have another pack of yeast I can pitch if necessary. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sorry guys I seem to be having a small formatting issue, recipe was:-

3kg Light Dry Extract
0.35kg Chocolate Malt
0.25 Light Crystal (60EBC)
0.25 Crystal (120 EBC)
0.15 Black Malt
0.05 Carafa III
30 grams EKG (60 mins)
30 grams Fuggles (60 mins)
10 grams EKG (12 mins)
10 grams Fuggles (12 mins)

Thanks again

Sorry, also should have said that BeerSmith estimated final gravity as 1013.

Are you using a hydrometer or refractometer for your reading? Refractometer readings need to be adjusted once wort has started fermenting.

If using a hydrometer and you think you might have a stalled ferment, increase the temp a couple of degrees and give the fermenter a gentle swirl to get your yeast back in suspension.

Cheers,

Justin.

Immersion heater is set at 20, the stick on thermometer has been showing between 18-20 for the last few days.

I have been using a hydrometer.

I'd swirl the fermentor to rouse the yeast a little, and raise the temp by 1-2 deg, and hopefully that will encourage the yeast to be a bit more active and drop the last few points of gravity for you.

Thanks for the responses,

I have raised the temperature a couple of degrees and given the whole thing a gentle swirl. Hopefully this will help drop those last few points of gravity because it taste good out of the hydrometer jar.

Rexi

I'd swirl the fermentor to rouse the yeast a little, and raise the temp by 1-2 deg, and hopefully that will encourage the yeast to be a bit more active and drop the last few points of gravity for you.

+1. And if that doesn't help you could pitch more yeast.

IMO 2 packs is plenty for this recipe so you've deffinatly pitched enough yeast. I'd look at a few things to start with as the possible cause. Age & health of the yeast (how was it stored for how long?), did you rehydrate the yeast at all? Did the wort get a any airation prior to pitching?
Something I'm not sure of becuase I've never used one would be the heat comming from the immersion element, how hot does the actual element get to keep the brew at 20c? You might find that the immediate area around the element might be getting too hot? Which might be stressing the yeast out a bit. But like I said, never used one so take that with a grain of MO

Thanks for all the responses so far. Disappointingly after increase the temperature by a couple of degrees and giving it a bit of a swirl, the gravity is still 1020. Just to clarify I bought two packets of yeast but only pitched one after making a starter and getting plenty of action. What do you think add the other packet of yeast??

If you've followed all the oxygen and temp suggestions, you have to wonder if its the yeast. I've got a similar issue with a safale 04 yeast, it's slowed right down and starter didn't come up as well as it usually does before pitching. After preparing a second batch of the same yeast to pitch, with similar poor rehydration despite temp and nutrients to the starter, I am starting to think it could be a bad batch of S-O4.

Back