Portable Keg Cooler - Bullet Bin

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacknohe

Reaction score
So I had a party coming up in a week, I'm new to kegs, and I needed a quick cheap single portable keg cooler option. I searched around AHB and other websites trying to find a suitable option. Went to the big green shed looking for inspiration... And there she was... A 45L Push "Bullet Bin" for $16. Borrowed an "In Store" measuring tape to check the dimensions internally and figured it was a go. Noticed part of one of the handles was broken and they knocked it down for $10.

IMG_2619.JPG

IMG_2621.JPG

Nice enough gap around the side of the keg to pour ice into. I found a 5kg bag filled up to about 2/3 of the keg height.
IMG_2618.JPG

Found an old unused kids camping map for insulation. Add a couple of spare bungee cords. (mine were slightly too long so tied a knot in them to shorten).
IMG_2623.JPG
IMG_2617.JPG

Drilled a hole through the side for a gas line. Haven't time to get a soda stream bottle or a bulb charger. I'm fairly sure the bulb charger would fit under the lid though. Connected up Gas In QD and Beer out QD going across the keg to keep the ends pointing in the middle.
IMG_2636.JPG

Beer out line draped around the keg and just resting on top of the ice. Was cool enough for pouring.
IMG_2637.JPG

I could have drilled another hole for the tap line. I was running out of time and unsure so I just had poked through the spring door. Worked perfectly. Maybe the type II version could have the beer line and bronco tap connected through the hole I drilled for the gas line if I use a bulb charger.

IMG_2634.JPG
And we're set!!! Showed up to the party where a rather large Chilly Bin (Esky) was heavily laden with Corona. Started offering samples of my beer (a Knappstein clone) and they were coming back for more. Emptied the keg and the bin full of Corona was barely even touched. :lol:

As for insulation, found ice still in the Bullet Bin the next morning. So quite happy.

Anyway, just thought I'd share an alternative option. Its not as elegant as the drain pipe model but the Bullet Bin was practically ready made with very little effort on my part.

Nice work! :super:

God I need to start kegging.....

Nice work! :super:

God I need to start kegging.....

Dude, I put it off for so long. Had an Oktoberfest party at my house where we emptied 50+ tallies (long neck). That was the deciding factor. I had to pour/decant every bottle, and the clean up was a b1tch...

I once read in a post on AHB referring to the cost of kegging, "... not having to clean bottles, PRICELESS!!!". Amen to that!!!

Dude, I put it off for so long. Had an Oktoberfest party at my house where we emptied 50+ tallies (long neck). That was the deciding factor. I had to pour/decant every bottle, and the clean up was a b1tch...

I once read in a post on AHB referring to the cost of kegging, "... not having to clean bottles, PRICELESS!!!". Amen to that!!!

I hear ya. I've just re-organised my fermentation setup and will now be brewing 36 litre batches. Not really looking forward to bottling all that..... <_<

I hear ya. I've just re-organised my fermentation setup and will now be brewing 36 litre batches. Not really looking forward to bottling all that..... <_<

haha.
Not when it would all fit into 2 x 19 litre stainless "bottles".

fairly similar to winkle's "darlek" he made for taking his keg to swaps, last i say it had wheels on the bottom and had a tap on plumbed into the lid. I like the gym mat on the out side for insulation ;)

i reckon a sodastream bottle with gauge might fit under the lid between the keg and the wall of the bin,but i could be wrong

i reckon a sodastream bottle with gauge might fit under the lid between the keg and the wall of the bin,but i could be wrong

Yeah it probably would if I didn't put the keg in the centre of the bin.

That's awesome... Just need to rig up a trolley to it and it's even more portable...
Oh and you need that Beer ONLY!!! sticker as well for the front ;)

Latest posts

Back