Porridge a la Margarite

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I was browsing on the subject of Marga Mills to see if they ever need lubricating. Of course we Marga owners tend to forget that home brew is a tiny part of their role in the World, being a kitchen appliance, and I was reminded of this when I learned what the most coarse factory hole setting on the spacer wheel is for.

It's an oat roller :)

I was also reminded that porridge oats from the supermarket are steamrolled - not only to make them easier to process but to kill the enzymes and modify the oils so that the oats don't go stale after processing.

Don't mind the odd porridge so I decided to try the genuine stuff and got myself off to the nearest Go Vita health food emporium, donning my alfoil helmet.

Fighting my way past crowds of aggressively skinny Lycra-clad women with their inevitable hairstyle of lank mousy hair in a pony tail, as well as pushing impossibly huge triangular strollers I negotiated other mobs of equally thin men called Alistair, Lachlan and Tarquin wearing rather quaint old style 3/4 length Capri pants and Crocs chosen to pick up the tones and highlights of the sweaters draped over the shoulders, (FFS this is Taree, give me a break :blink: ) and found the oats in the bulk store.

The pathetic little things on the left are "oat groats" next to the results through the Marga. Only one pass needed. Man those mills are industrially awesome doing what they are actually designed to do. The oats, which are tough little buggers, went through perfectly but the Ozito Spade Handle drill was groaning and wheezing and needed every Newton Metre of torque it had. Impressive.

Porridge a la Margarite.jpg

1 cup oats
1.5 cups boiling water
0.25 tsp salt if desired

Simmer slowly for about 10 mins till thick

1 cup unhomogenised milk if you can get it

Simmer a further 5 minutes till the mixture has thickened again.

Some honey and more milk to serve.

Wow, that's how ye mak porridge.. rich, nutty, fresh and al dente bits in a creamy porridge. I can feel it dragging the LDL out of my arteries as we speak.

Back