Poor Man's Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Duke

Reaction score
what would happen if you put, say, 2 litres of Coca-Cola in with a kit instead of a kilo of dextrose/LME or whatever?

I'd be worried about the taste you're left with when you ferment all the sugar out of coke, but it would be an interesting experiment. :)

Yeah, I've thought about fermenting coke before. Probably taste pretty wrong, and they yeast may not like the stuff, but I don't know.

I can see it ending in pain for all involved, still, it could be fun.

Sam

According to the coke website 2 l of coke has 200 g of sugar in it, so if you use instead of 1000 g of dextrose you will make a light beer.

diet porter coke :lol:
have a try duke as its the only way to find out unless some other experimentor has tried it already.

cheers
big d

Hmmm vaguely remember a thread on the HBD, think the conclusion was the result was awful :) Mind you, I think they just fermented a bottle of Coke

Jovial Monk

Doesn't it have orthophosphoric acid (aka one shot et.al.) in it?

Would it even ferment?

i nominate the duke. ;) after all it was his thread that started this idea.
we welcome the feed back duke. :lol: <_<

cheers
big d

o.k.
I'll be the guinea pig. A fermentor will be freed up this weekend and I will prepared the concoction;

The Duke's Poor Man's Porter;
4 lts coke
1 tin cooper's stout
200gms maltodextrin
500gms LME

reckon this has enough fermentables to make me warm and fuzzy after a few bots.

stay tuned for developments

hang on,
scrap the stout........i'm going to use a nut brown ale instead.

What an honour to have the chief of Backlane on board!

Can you be the first to try this recipe? First to go blind.

After we discussed this yesterday I was all set to pick up a $7.00 Farmland lager mixer & 2 litres of Coke (only 88c each!) and whack it on last night.

HOWEVER when I got to the brewery I found 14 litres of apple juice & a tin of Munton's Golden Saaz Pilsener waiting.

So- we bottled Black Rock cider, put on Munton's Pilsener, mixed 7 litres of the juice into a plain cider, then added cloves, cinnamon nutmeg & honey to the rest for a spiced cider to drink warmed in winter.

Drank a few then mopped the floor and went home.

Currently running 6 kegs, ran out of airlocks last night...may not be able to put the Coke monster on for a week or two.

Has anyone thought that this is another caffeine beer? It was my first thought.
I might have a go at it using my dedicated ginger beer fermenter - coz it's no use for anything else any more. Everything that comes out of it tastes of ginger.

I'm thinking that it might be OK with a Coopers Dark Ale can and 500g DME and Wyeast London Ale.

Sound OK?

OK it's settled.
The Duke will knock up a batch of "Poor Man's Porter" using a Coopers Nut Brown ale & 2 litres of Coca-Cola.
I will put on "Coke Fiend" using a lager (Tooheys or Farmland) & 2 litres of Coca-Cola as soon as I have some keg space.
No Diet Coke, no Pepsi, and definitely no Fanta allowed. I don't plan to add any other fermentables.
We will report back in due course...may have to arrange some sort of tasting meet.

Anyone want to predict the outcomes?

neonmeate said:
it'll probly come out pretty close to carlton black...
Is that the nut-brown version or the lager, or both?

More worried that it's going to have too much fruitiness from the (presumably) cane sugar used to sweeten it. Maybe the caramel & other flavours will help.

you crazy guys! I love it. The craziest I have done is ferment ribena to make riboozer. Came out a tad too dry, but still blackcurranty and about 6.5% ABV.

Just make sure you use a monster of a starter, with all the preservatives and the low pH of coke, I think the yeasties may have a hard time.

Another option is to have some champagne yeast ready to roll if the first yeast fails, that stuff will ferment just about anything!

Back