poor attenuation and contamination

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nifty9000

Reaction score
Hi - I am looking for some help

I am having increasingly worse problems with poor attenuation and contamination during fermentation. Particularly with my 11 batches over the last year. I have tried many things to stop this but so far I have been unsuccessful. This is driving my crazy.

My brews are not fully fermenting out with the cultured yeast I am using and then either wild yeast or bacteria is taking over. I don't know why the fermentation is stopping short (could the presence of wild yeast or bacteria do this?) and don't know where the contamination is coming from (unless this is still in my CFC).

I have attached detail of my last 2 brews which are pretty indicative and what changes I have made to date (I didn't have access to be able to paste this in).

For my next batch I plan on using a new convoluted counterflow cooler and new fermenters. Has anyone got any other bright ideas.

Nothing attached but try flicking the switch icon in your reply window then pasting again or using a browser like chrome.

Sounds like you have a recurring infection and need to either isolate the cause (just like you flushed out brown and black shite from the chiller, have you done that with your fermenter and kettle taps?. Look at replacing plastic, lines, hoses etc.

I would be flushing your chiller out with PBW or percarb every time, not just water.

Back