Pool Chiller Method

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sound reasonable to me. One way I found to speed the chill process is to direct some of the chill run-off over the sides ok the kettle. Theres alot of heat stored in the stainless after boiling.

cheers

Darren

I agree Darren - I use a water spray bottle to keep the outside of the kettle moist and let the evaporation take away the heat.

Sound reasonable to me. One way I found to speed the chill process is to direct some of the chill run-off over the sides ok the kettle. Theres alot of heat stored in the stainless after boiling.

cheers

Darren

Yes Darren,

I too, used to run cold water over the outsides of the kettle when I was doing partials ( small kettle).
I would do this on the sink and let the water run back into the sink with the plug in, and then use the water for the clean up.

Cheers

any comments? constructive only please, darren.

PS noone tell me to no chill please!
and sorry for the hijack...

Sammus

I do this too. My tank is a little bigger though - 5000l rainwater tank but the principle is the same. The tank sits on the shady side of the house and is uasually around 20C even in summer. I pump from the tank, through the chiller and back into the tank. 5000l is enough thermal mass that the hot water flowing in doesn't raise the temp of the water flowing out by any noticeable amount

Since the chiller water isn't really that cold, it does have trouble getting the wort right down to pitching temps. I let it get down into the high 20s then hook in a pre-chiller (copper coil in a bucket of ice water) to get it down that last bit.

Cheers
Dave

Latest posts

Back